Complex Integration - Poles on the Imaginary axis

In summary, the integral I_1 = \int_0^\infty \frac{dx}{x^2 + 1} can be evaluated by integrating around a semicircle in the upper half of the complex plane. By utilizing the residue theorem, the integral can be transformed into the integral I_2 = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{dz}{(z+i)(z-i)}, which can be solved by finding the residue at the point z=i. This results in I_2 = \pi. However, since the original integral has limits ranging from 0 to infinity, the answer needs to be divided by 2. This can also be proven by integrating along a contour in the
knowlewj01

Homework Statement

evaluate the integral:
[itex]I_1 =\int_0^\infty \frac{dx}{x^2 + 1} [/itex]

by integrating around a semicircle in the upper half of the complex plane.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

first i exchange the real vaiable x with a complex variable z & factorize the denominator. Also, the contour of integration is a semicircle with radius= infinity

[itex]I_2 = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{dz}{(z+i)(z-i)}[/itex]

the contour contains only the pole in the upper half, so from residue theorem we know:
[itex]I_2 = 2\pi i R(i)[/itex]

where R(i) is the residue at the point z=i

R(i) = 1/(i+i) = 1/2i

Hence [itex]I_2 = \pi[/itex]

Now, i know the answer to the original integral is supposed to be pi/2.
Can i say that: because the original limits range from 0 to infinity, and i have integrated twice this amount, my answer should be divided by 2? or is this reasoning flawed?

Physics news on Phys.org
I THINK you do divide by two, as noted, but how I'd approach this would be by using trig substitution, substituting x = tan(θ). :P But yep, I think your reasoning's right, or at least close!

knowlewj01;3886693 Now said:
Yes.

Thanks for the replies. Is this because the function is even in the upper half of the complex plane?

I thought of doing this by integrating a contour in only the positive quadrent, ie:
(0,0) to (R,0)
(R,0) to (0,iR) along contour ω [a radial path of radius R from the real axis to the imaginary axis in the positive quadrent]
(0,iR) to (0,i+δ) [where δ is a small value which we will take to 0 around the pole]
(0,i+δ) to (0,i-δ) along a contour λ [radial path of radius δ in the clockwise direction such that the pole is not included in the enclosed path]
(0,i-δ) to (0,0)

we have:

[itex]F(z) = \frac{1}{Z^2+1}=\frac{1}{(z+i)(z-i)}[/itex]

[itex]\oint_C F(z)dz =\int_0^R F(z)dz + \int_\omega F(z)dz + \left[\int_{iR}^{i+\delta}F(z)dz+\int_{i-\delta}^0 F(z)dz\right] + \int_\lambda F(z)dz =0[/itex]

as F(z) is analytic everywhere inside the contour we demand that the integral = 0 by Green's theorem.

we know from residue theorem that integration on the contour λ will give a contribution of -πiR(i) as it is counterclockwise (& where R(i) is the residue at i, which is 1/2i)

now let R→∞ and δ→0:

First: consider the integral along the contour ω, if we have [itex]z=Re^{i\theta}[/itex]

[itex]\int_\omega F(z)dz = \int_\omega \frac{iRe^{i\theta}d\theta}{R^2e^{i2\theta} + 1}[/itex]

[itex]\lim_{R \to \infty}\int_\omega \frac{iRe^{i\theta}d\theta}{R^2e^{i2\theta}+1}≈ \frac{1}{R}\int_\omega \frac{id\theta}{e^{i\theta}}=0[/itex]

Is this correct? I thought Jordan's Lemma worked only for semicircles but this seems to give the same result.

we are left with:

[itex]\int_0^\infty F(z)dz + \int_{i\infty}^0 F(z)dz - \frac{\pi}{2} = 0[/itex]

so i know that the integral along the imaginary axis must be 0 but I'm not sure how to prove it

1. What are poles on the imaginary axis in complex integration?

Poles on the imaginary axis in complex integration refer to points on the complex plane where the denominator of a function becomes zero and the function becomes infinite. These points are located on the imaginary axis, which is the vertical line on the complex plane that represents pure imaginary numbers.

2. How do poles on the imaginary axis affect complex integration?

Poles on the imaginary axis can significantly affect complex integration as they can cause the function to become undefined or infinite. This means that the integral may not converge and may need to be evaluated using other methods, such as Cauchy's Residue Theorem.

3. How are poles on the imaginary axis different from poles on the real axis?

Poles on the imaginary axis and poles on the real axis behave differently in complex integration. Poles on the imaginary axis can only be approached from one side of the complex plane, while poles on the real axis can be approached from both sides. Additionally, the residues of poles on the imaginary axis can be calculated using a slightly different formula compared to residues of poles on the real axis.

4. Can functions with poles on the imaginary axis be integrated using the Cauchy's Residue Theorem?

Yes, functions with poles on the imaginary axis can be integrated using Cauchy's Residue Theorem. However, the theorem must be modified to account for the poles on the imaginary axis. The modified formula uses a different path of integration that avoids the poles and still satisfies the conditions of the theorem.

5. Are poles on the imaginary axis always associated with singularities?

Yes, poles on the imaginary axis are always associated with singularities as they represent points on the complex plane where the function becomes infinite. These singularities are classified as poles rather than essential singularities because the function can still be evaluated at these points by approaching from one side of the complex plane.