1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex line integral over x + y = 1

1. Apr 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    jr5mqq.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    I can't think of many to begin with. I've mainly been dealing with the simple forms of Cauchy's theorem so far, such as the Cauchy-Goursat theorem, and also Cauchy's integral formulas. However, these don't seem to have any direct implications here.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Alright, so I first used partial fraction expansion to rewrite the integral as
    i/4 [integral over dz/(z+2i) - integral over dz/(z-2i)]
    However, then I have to parametrize the curve. Now, I tried using z = x + iy, and then parametrising the curve so that x = 1 - y, but that doesn't really seem to be going anywhere. I also don't see how that relates to the hint, nor do I see a way to start solving the problem from the hint.

Could someone maybe provide me with a tip as to what I should be doing?

Thanks in advance,
    Verdict

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about a circle with large R centered on the origin. It will intersect your line C in two points. Now imagine a new contour that follows your line between the two intersection points, then follows about half the circle in a counterclockwise direction until it intersects the line again. Can you say what the integral is over that curve using a Cauchy theorem? Now imagine R goes to infinity. What can you say about the contribution of the circular part of the contour?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted