1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex number question involving de Moivre identity

1. Jan 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

cos(4x)(6+2a)+12a+8b=-20 find values for a, b. Then check the values and state which values of x would not have been sufficient checks.

2. Relevant equations

Complex number equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've simplified it down to this from a harder problem but I can't get any further, putting it into wolfram gives me a=-3 and b=2 but I have no idea how that was worked out.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Every value for x you plug in gives you an equation that a and b must satisfy.

So, why don't you pick some easy values for x and see what you get??

4. Jan 10, 2012 #3
    Since cos(4x) is varying independently, then in order to have the equation always true, what value must (6+2a) have?

5. Jan 11, 2012 #4
    Yeah my fault, I didn't say that you have to do it using the de Moivre identity and then plug in a value of x to test it afterwards.

The original equation looks like this: [itex]cos(x)^4 + sin(x)^4 + a(cos(x)^2 + sin(x)^2) + b = 0[/itex]

I think it's a fairly common complex number question and involves the bionomial expansion, but I've never really done much with complex numbers before so it doesn't seem obvious what I need to do to me. Thanks!

6. Jan 12, 2012 #5
    Alright I've figured out how to get a and b, anyone have any ideas on which values of x would not be 'sufficient checks' on the formula?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook