Complex Numbers added as impedances in parallel

In summary, the conversation involves solving for the value of Y in the equation 1/z1+1/z2+1/z3=Y, where z1=2+j2, z2=1+j5, and z3=j6. One person explains their method of treating the complex numbers as normal resistors in a parallel equation and arriving at the answer of Y=0.29-j0.55. The other person suggests using the method of multiplying by the conjugate of the complex number and explains the steps involved. They both reach the same answer and clarify their methods to each other.
Trespaser5
1. I have been asked to add 1/z1+1/z2+1/z3=Y. When z1=2+j2 and z2=1+j5 and z3=j6.

3. I have basically treated them like a normal resistors in parallel equation using 1+j0 and dividing them individually and then adding the product to get Y=0.29-j0.55. Is this the right way to go about this ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer you arrived at looks correct but I don't follow your explanation of how you arrived there.

Usually what you do in these problems with division by complex numbers is to multiply by 1.
By that I mean, for term you do the following;

[itex]\frac{1}{z} = \frac{1}{z} \frac{z^*}{z^*} = \frac{z^*}{|z|^2}[/itex]

Then it becomes a pretty simple vector equation.

Hi,
thank you so much for your reply.
Do you mean multiplying by 1 that you are multiplying by the conjugate of the value of z ? Sorry I don't quite understand your method ?
I got to my answer by making 1/2+j2 into 1+j0/2+j2 then multiplying both values by the conjugate of 2+j2 which is 2-j2, this gave me a value of 0.25-j0.25, I repeated this for z2 and z3 then added those values to gain Y.
Thanks again
Kyle

Yes, I believe we are going the same thing here, in your notation what I did was

[itex]\frac{1}{a+j\ b} = \frac{1}{a+j\ b} \frac{a-j\ b}{a-j\ b} = \frac{a-j\ b}{(a+j \ b)(a- j\ b)} = \frac{a- j\ b}{a^2 + b^2}[/itex]

This is all correct because [itex]\frac{a-j\ b}{a-j\ b} = 1[/itex].

Then you have an equation of the form
[itex](a + jb) + (c + jd) + (e +jf) = (a+c+e) + j(b+d+f) = Y[/itex]

We were doing the same thing, I just didn't understand your notation

Got it, thank you so much for your help :)

No problem buddy :D

1. What are complex numbers added as impedances in parallel?

Complex numbers added as impedances in parallel is a mathematical concept used in electrical engineering to calculate the total impedance of a parallel circuit. It involves using complex numbers, which have both a real and imaginary component, to represent the resistance and reactance of each component in the circuit.

2. Why are complex numbers used in impedance calculations?

Complex numbers are used in impedance calculations because they allow for the representation of both resistance and reactance, which are important in understanding the behavior of electrical components in a circuit. They also simplify the calculations and make it easier to represent sinusoidal signals.

3. How do you add complex numbers as impedances in parallel?

To add complex numbers as impedances in parallel, you first need to convert each impedance to its polar form. Then, you can add the magnitudes of the impedances and the angles of the impedances. Finally, convert the result back to rectangular form to get the total impedance of the parallel circuit.

4. What is the significance of adding complex numbers as impedances in parallel?

The process of adding complex numbers as impedances in parallel is important in understanding the behavior of parallel circuits. It helps in determining the total impedance of the circuit, which in turn affects the flow of current and voltage in the circuit. This information is crucial in designing and analyzing electrical circuits.

5. Are there any limitations to using complex numbers in impedance calculations?

While complex numbers are useful in impedance calculations, there are some limitations to their use. For example, they do not accurately represent non-linear components in a circuit. Also, the calculations can become more complex when dealing with multiple parallel branches in a circuit. In these cases, other methods of impedance calculation may be more appropriate.