1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Numbers added as impedances in parallel

1. Feb 18, 2012 #1
    1. I have been asked to add 1/z1+1/z2+1/z3=Y. When z1=2+j2 and z2=1+j5 and z3=j6.

3. I have basically treated them like a normal resistors in parallel equation using 1+j0 and dividing them individually and then adding the product to get Y=0.29-j0.55. Is this the right way to go about this ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2012 #2
    The answer you arrived at looks correct but I don't follow your explaination of how you arrived there.

Usually what you do in these problems with division by complex numbers is to multiply by 1.
    By that I mean, for term you do the following;

[itex]\frac{1}{z} = \frac{1}{z} \frac{z^*}{z^*} = \frac{z^*}{|z|^2}[/itex]

Then it becomes a pretty simple vector equation.

4. Feb 18, 2012 #3
    Hi,
    thank you so much for your reply.
    Do you mean multiplying by 1 that you are multiplying by the conjugate of the value of z ? Sorry I don't quite understand your method ?
    I got to my answer by making 1/2+j2 into 1+j0/2+j2 then multiplying both values by the conjugate of 2+j2 which is 2-j2, this gave me a value of 0.25-j0.25, I repeated this for z2 and z3 then added those values to gain Y.
    Thanks again
    Kyle

5. Feb 18, 2012 #4
    Yes, I believe we are going the same thing here, in your notation what I did was

[itex]\frac{1}{a+j\ b} = \frac{1}{a+j\ b} \frac{a-j\ b}{a-j\ b} = \frac{a-j\ b}{(a+j \ b)(a- j\ b)} = \frac{a- j\ b}{a^2 + b^2}[/itex]

This is all correct because [itex]\frac{a-j\ b}{a-j\ b} = 1[/itex].

Then you have an equation of the form
    [itex](a + jb) + (c + jd) + (e +jf) = (a+c+e) + j(b+d+f) = Y[/itex]

We were doing the same thing, I just didn't understand your notation

6. Feb 18, 2012 #5
    Got it, thank you so much for your help :)

7. Feb 18, 2012 #6
    No problem buddy :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook