1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex numbers, Homework Question.

1. Oct 1, 2007 #1
    Express this in terms of j

6j-5j2√-63

I have no idea how to do the ones with square roots, my teacher is lost. Completely and im stuck on this 1 number for like 2 hrs trying to figure it out.

The answer is sopose to be -28j please help me out

**Note that j2= -1

NOTE ALSO THAT the 2 is a 5jsquare

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2007 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You seem to have written the given expression incorrectly. The question itself seems incredibly simple. Can we assume that for "j", you mean j*j= -1 ? Let me try to continue:

[note, you might really want to see the part below starting with "Where..." ]
    6j - 5j2(-63)^(0.5)
    6j -5*2*j*j(3*3*7)^(0.5)
    6j -5*2*3*(-1)*(7^0.5)
    6j + 30*7^(0.5)

Where did you find j2 = -1 ? Is that simply a given condition? "2" is a subscript?
    6j - 5j2(-63)^(0.5)
    6j + 5*(-1)*3*(7^(0.5))
    6j - 15*(7^(0.5))

4. Oct 1, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oh, those engineers and their jmaginary numbers!

Any normal person would use "i" but those engineers have to use "j"!
    I assume you mean 6j-5j^2√-63. If you won't use LaTex at least use ^2 to indicate squares. Yes, J^2= -1 so obviously [itex]6j- 5j^2\sqrt{-3}= 5j\sqrt{63}+ 6j= (5\sqrt{63}+6)j[/itex]. What more is there to say?

5. Dec 1, 2008 #4
    It should be [tex]\sqrt{-63}[/tex] in your first equation. You confused the heck out of me for a few minutes :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?