Complex Numbers on the TI-89 Titanium Claculator, help?

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's struggles with algebraic equations and expressions. They are seeking help with finding the answers to these problems, preferably with the use of a TI-89 calculator. However, it is advised to learn how to solve the problems by hand first for better understanding. A link to a blog post explaining how to manipulate complex numbers is also provided as a helpful resource.
Kawaisou
Hello all,

My first post here and sorry it is not very scholarly. lol

I am currently taking Algebra 2 and am completely lost as how to find the answers to simple equations and expressions such as the ones below. Can anybody help me out or if you own a TI-89 Calc and know how to perform these operations, please let me know! I will need to do it by hand but if I can do it on the Calc I can learn better with having the answer before hand and such. Well anyway, here are the examples.

1. (4 - i) + (3 + 2i) change to standard form

2. 5i(-2 + i)

Thanks everybody!^^

Computer science news on Phys.org
Learn how to do it by hand FIRST. Doing it on the calculator will not help in your learning process, despite what you would like to believe.

For the TI-89, you use 2nd Catalog, which has the i written above it.

I wrote a little blog post that explains exactly what you are looking for.

http://blog.ncday.net/2010/07/how-to-manipulate-complex-numbers.html"

I hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello there,

First of all, don't worry about not being scholarly - we all start somewhere and it's great that you're seeking help.

The TI-89 Titanium calculator is a powerful tool that can handle complex numbers with ease. To change the expression (4 - i) + (3 + 2i) to standard form, you can use the "complex" function on your calculator. This can be accessed by pressing "2nd" and then "complex." Then, enter the first complex number (4 - i) and press the "+" button. Next, enter the second complex number (3 + 2i) and press "enter." Your calculator should then display the answer in standard form, which in this case is 7 + i.

For the second question, 5i(-2 + i), you can use the "multiply" function on your calculator. This can be accessed by pressing "x" and then entering the first number (5i). Next, press the "*" button and enter the second number (-2 + i). Press "enter" and your calculator should display the answer, which in this case is -10i + 5i^2.

I hope this helps you better understand how to use complex numbers on your calculator. Remember, practice makes perfect, so keep working at it and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. Good luck with your studies!

1. What are complex numbers and why are they important?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary component. They are important in mathematics and science because they allow us to solve equations and problems that involve square roots of negative numbers, which cannot be solved using real numbers alone.

2. How do I input complex numbers into the TI-89 Titanium calculator?

To input a complex number into the TI-89 Titanium calculator, press the "Mode" button and select "Complex" from the menu. Then, enter the real component followed by the imaginary component in parentheses. For example, to enter the complex number 3+4i, you would input "3+4i".

3. How do I perform basic arithmetic operations with complex numbers on the TI-89 Titanium calculator?

To perform basic arithmetic operations with complex numbers, use the "+" and "-" buttons for addition and subtraction, and the "*" and "/" buttons for multiplication and division. Make sure to use parentheses around the complex numbers if they contain more than one term. For example, to add the complex numbers 3+4i and 5+2i, you would input "(3+4i)+(5+2i)".

4. Can the TI-89 Titanium calculator simplify complex numbers?

Yes, the TI-89 Titanium calculator can simplify complex numbers. To simplify a complex number, press the "Simplify" button, which is located under the "Math" menu. The calculator will simplify the complex number to its simplest form, if possible.

5. How do I graph complex numbers on the TI-89 Titanium calculator?

To graph complex numbers, use the "Graph" feature on the calculator. Press the "Graph" button and enter the complex number in the format "a+bi" where "a" is the real component and "b" is the imaginary component. The calculator will plot the complex number on the graph in the complex plane.