Complex parallel impedance of 20 Ω resistor and 110 mH inductor at 50 Hz

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
fonz
Messages
151
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement



Find the complex parallel impedance of a 20 Ω resistor and 110 mH inductor from a 50 Hz supply.

Homework Equations



Z = R (XL2 / R2+XL2) + j XL (R2 / XL2 + R2)

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
R = 20 Ω
XL = j34.6 Ω

Z = 20 ( j34.62 / j34.62 + 202) + j34.6 ( 202 / j34.62 + 202) Ω

Z = 20 ( -1197 / 400 - 1197 ) + j34.6 ( 400 / 400 - 1197 ) Ω

Z = 30 - j17 Ω

Apparently this is wrong but I can't find where I have gone wrong.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Not clear where your relevant formula comes from.
Why not simply $${1\over Z} = {1\over R} + {1\over j\omega L}\ \ ?$$
 
Correction: I confirm your equation, so it's in a later step. Check out what XL should be.
 
I calculated XL at 50 Hz and got j34.6 Ω

Then I tried to calculate XL2 as follows:

XL2 = (j34.6)2 = -1197

Are you suggesting -1197 is incorrect?

Thanks for your response.
 
http://mlg.eng.cam.ac.uk/mchutchon/ResonantCircuits.pdf. The complex impedance is ##{\bf j}\omega L## but the reactance XL is a real number.
 
BvU said:
http://mlg.eng.cam.ac.uk/mchutchon/ResonantCircuits.pdf. The complex impedance is ##{\bf j}\omega L## but the reactance XL is a real number.

I've been sat trying to interpret what you said and getting nowhere unfortunately. 34.6 is a real number? 34.62 = 1197
 
So XL2 is 1197, not -1197. Indeed.

And: be clearer with the brackets when you write down an expression.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fonz
BvU said:
So XL2 is 1197, not -1197. Indeed.

And: be clearer with the brackets when you write down an expression.

Right I understand what you are saying and thanks for the help.