Complex roots of a cubic equation

In summary, there are two methods to calculate the complex roots of a cubic equation: using De Moivre's identity or factoring the equation and using the quadratic formula. Both methods yield the same results.
engineer1406

Homework Statement

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a procedure you can follow to calculate the complex roots of a cubic equation.

Homework Equations

For example the equation

x3 - 1 = 0

has roots of x = 1
x = -0.5 + √3/2 i
x = -0.5 - √3/2 i

Admittedly, I got those solutions off wolfram alpha, but I am wondering how to work it out without wolfram!

Thanks!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
In this case, it's not so hard. If you have a complex number z, then you first need to write it in the form

[tex]z=R(\cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta))[/tex]

It is now a theorem (prove this!), that the n-th roots are exactly

[tex]\sqrt[n]{R}(\cos(\frac{\theta+2k\pi}{n})+ i\sin(\frac{\theta+2k\pi}{n}))^n[/tex]

for [itex]0\leq k<n[/itex]. This is due to De Moivre's identity.

So, can you use this information to calculate the third roots of 1?

Haha, great. The formula works!

Thanks very much micromass!

Here's another way to do it (not as "sophisticated"): [itex]x^3- 1= 0[/itex] has the obvious solution x= 1 so x- 1 is a factor. Dividing [itex]x^3- 1[/itex] by x- 1, we find that [itex]x^3- 1= (x- 1)(x^2+ x+ 1)[/itex]. If x is not 0 then [itex]x^2+ x+ 1= 0[/itex]. That's a quadratic equation so use the quadratic formula to solve it.

1. What is a cubic equation?

A cubic equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable. It is called a cubic equation because the highest degree of the variable is 3.

2. How do you find the complex roots of a cubic equation?

To find the complex roots of a cubic equation, you can use the quadratic formula or the cubic formula. The quadratic formula involves taking the square root of the discriminant, while the cubic formula involves taking the cube root of the discriminant. Both methods will give you complex roots in the form of a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

3. Can a cubic equation have more than three roots?

No, a cubic equation can only have three roots, counting multiplicity. This is because a cubic equation has a degree of 3, meaning it can have a maximum of 3 solutions. However, some of these solutions may be repeated, resulting in fewer distinct roots.

4. What does it mean if a cubic equation has complex roots?

If a cubic equation has complex roots, it means that the solutions are in the form of a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. This indicates that the graph of the equation will have points on the complex plane, rather than just the real number line.

5. Are there any real-life applications of cubic equations with complex roots?

Yes, cubic equations with complex roots have many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model the motion of a damped harmonic oscillator or to calculate the optimal production level for a company. Additionally, many mathematical and scientific problems involve finding the roots of cubic equations, making it a useful concept to understand for scientists and researchers.