1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Variable Analysis

1. Oct 21, 2007 #1
    I'm supposed to evaluate where a function is a regular point, essential singularity, or a pole (and of what order) at a specific location.

Problem here.

Evaluated at (where else but) z=1.

I know its not a regular point since it doesn't evaluate to a simple Taylor Series... likewise -- I know its not an essential singularity since its Lorentz series doesn't go on forever (unless I'm entirely wrong).

I cannot tell what order the pole is though:

Using l'Hopital's rule (0/0) would suggest that its a pole of order 1... but applying it directly which the textbooks seem to do would suggest its a pole of order 2.

It would be easier if I could conform it to a Lorentz series but across 7 textbooks I have on the topic of Complex Analysis (not kidding -- I just bought one today -- 120$ -- only a dozen problems on the topic -- and no solutions nor even answers). "Arfken" -- good for reference -- but I really should have bought Boas.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2007 #2
    A pole is simple if the limit

[tex]\lim_{z\rightarrow z_0}(z-z_0)f(z)[/tex]

exist and is finite.

A pole is of order [itex]n[/itex] if the limit

[tex]\lim_{z\rightarrow z_0}(z-z_0)^n f(z)[/tex]

exist and is finite.

(Why?)

---EDIT---

You should read Marsden's or Churchill's book on the topic. Another good, but more advanced reference is Ahlfors.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  4. Oct 21, 2007 #3
    I would think that your pole is of order one, since your function is equal to (z+1)/(z-1)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?