Complex Variable Analysis: What is the order of the pole at z=1?

In summary, the speaker is trying to determine the type and order of a pole at z=1 for a given function. They have evaluated the function and determined that it is not a regular point or an essential singularity. However, they are unsure of the order of the pole, as applying different methods gives conflicting results. The speaker mentions that finding a Lorentz series would make it easier to determine the order, but they have not found a suitable reference for this topic. They believe that the pole is of order one based on the value of the function at z=1, but suggest reading further resources for clarification.
GluonZ
I'm supposed to evaluate where a function is a regular point, essential singularity, or a pole (and of what order) at a specific location.

Problem here.

Evaluated at (where else but) z=1.

I know its not a regular point since it doesn't evaluate to a simple Taylor Series... likewise -- I know its not an essential singularity since its Lorentz series doesn't go on forever (unless I'm entirely wrong).

I cannot tell what order the pole is though:

Using l'Hopital's rule (0/0) would suggest that its a pole of order 1... but applying it directly which the textbooks seem to do would suggest its a pole of order 2.

It would be easier if I could conform it to a Lorentz series but across 7 textbooks I have on the topic of Complex Analysis (not kidding -- I just bought one today -- 120$ -- only a dozen problems on the topic -- and no solutions nor even answers). "Arfken" -- good for reference -- but I really should have bought Boas.

Physics news on Phys.org
A pole is simple if the limit

[tex]\lim_{z\rightarrow z_0}(z-z_0)f(z)[/tex]

exist and is finite.

A pole is of order [itex]n[/itex] if the limit

[tex]\lim_{z\rightarrow z_0}(z-z_0)^n f(z)[/tex]

exist and is finite.

(Why?)

---EDIT---

You should read Marsden's or Churchill's book on the topic. Another good, but more advanced reference is Ahlfors.

Last edited:
I would think that your pole is of order one, since your function is equal to (z+1)/(z-1)

1. What is Complex Variable Analysis?

Complex Variable Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex variables. It involves the application of complex numbers and their properties to analyze and understand functions in the complex plane.

2. What are some real-world applications of Complex Variable Analysis?

Complex Variable Analysis has various real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. It is used to model electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics, to name a few.

3. What are the key concepts in Complex Variable Analysis?

The key concepts in Complex Variable Analysis include complex numbers, complex functions, analyticity, Cauchy-Riemann equations, contour integration, and the Cauchy Integral Theorem.

4. How is Complex Variable Analysis different from Real Analysis?

Complex Variable Analysis is distinct from Real Analysis because it deals with functions of complex variables, whereas Real Analysis deals with functions of real variables. This means that complex numbers and their properties, such as complex differentiation and integration, are used in Complex Variable Analysis, while real numbers are used in Real Analysis.

5. What are some resources for learning Complex Variable Analysis?

There are various resources available for learning Complex Variable Analysis, including textbooks, online lectures, and practice problems. Some recommended textbooks are "Complex Analysis" by Lars Ahlfors and "Functions of One Complex Variable" by John B. Conway. MIT OpenCourseWare and Khan Academy also offer free online lectures and practice problems for Complex Variable Analysis.