What are the solutions of w=tan z if w doesn't equal +i or -i?

• Thread starter Mark C
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tan
In summary, The conversation discusses how to show that any w not equal to +i or -i can be the image of some z in C, and the solutions of w=tan z for w not equal to +i or -i. The use of the arctan w identity is not allowed and the conversation suggests using the fact that tan is sin over cos, as well as the unit disc being the universal covering space of "the sphere minus 3 points". Additionally, it is mentioned that tan(z) cannot miss more than two points, i and -i, and therefore cannot be constant.
Mark C
Hi

If w=tan z

How would I show that any w not equal to +i or -i,
is the image of some z in C, and what are the solutions
of w=tan z if w doesn't equal to +i or -i?
I can easily show that tan z can never equal +i or -i,
but that's not the same thing also.

Note: without using the arctan w identity.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
tan is sin over cos, right? and these are simply exponentials in z, too. does that help?

Well, yes I know that, I can show that if w=i or -i then the expression is not defined, but that's not the same thing.

thank you anyway

Mark C said:
Well, yes I know that, I can show that if w=i or -i then the expression is not defined, but that's not the same thing.

thank you anyway
Have you derived the inverse function using the exponentials ?

I am not supposed to use the formula for arctan w.

tanz is the same as e^z but translated so that i , -i correspond to 0 and infinity. maybe. or you could use picards theorem.

Last edited:
Deriving it isnt' the same as "using it" you simply show that there is no solution in terms of the exponential version of the functions.

here is a quick argument for you.
fact: the unit disc is the universal covering space of: "the sphere minus 3 points".

corollary: if a holomorphic map to the sphere misses three points, then it factors through the unit disc, hence is constant, by liouville's theorem.

since tan(z) is not constant it cannot miss any more than the two points i and -i.

1. What is the definition of a complex tangent function?

The complex tangent function, also known as tan z, is a mathematical function that maps a complex number to another complex number. It is defined as the ratio of the sine and cosine of a complex number, where the sine and cosine are defined using the complex exponential function.

2. What is the domain and range of the complex tangent function?

The domain of the complex tangent function is the set of all complex numbers, excluding the points where the cosine of the complex number is equal to zero. The range of the function is the set of all complex numbers, including infinity.

3. How is the complex tangent function related to the real tangent function?

The complex tangent function is related to the real tangent function through the imaginary unit i. The real tangent function can be obtained by setting the imaginary part of the complex number to zero. In other words, the complex tangent function reduces to the real tangent function when the argument is a real number.

4. What are the properties of the complex tangent function?

The complex tangent function shares some properties with the real tangent function, such as periodicity and symmetry. It also has some unique properties, such as being analytic on its domain and having essential singularities at points where the cosine is equal to zero.

5. How is the complex tangent function used in complex analysis?

The complex tangent function is used in complex analysis to study the behavior of complex functions. It is often used in the evaluation of complex integrals and in the solution of differential equations involving complex functions. It also plays a fundamental role in the study of conformal mappings and the theory of residues.