Comparing Lie & Covariant Derivatives of Vector Fields

In summary, the Lie Derivative and Covariant derivative of a vector field along a given vector can be subtracted, resulting in a tensor of the same type. However, a more common construction is to subtract the torsion acting on the two vectors. It should also be noted that the concept of a "constant" vector field is not well defined on a general manifold.
kent davidge
I subtracted the ##\mu##-th component of the Lie Derivative of a Vector ##U## along a vector ##V## from the ##\mu##-th component of the Covariant derivative of the same vector ##U## along the same vector ##V## and I got ##(\nabla_V U)^\mu - (\mathcal{L}_V U)^\mu = U^\nu \partial_\nu V^\mu - V^\nu U^\sigma \Gamma^\mu{}_{\nu \sigma}##

I know I should really say vector field in the above instead of vector. My question is if it's legitimate to perform such subtraction. If so, One notices that the two derivatives are the same when the basis and the vector field ##V## are constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not? The result is again a tensor.

Likes kent davidge
As already said, the two terms are both tensors of the same type so it does indeed make sense to take the difference in the sense that the result is a tensor of the same type. However, the more common construction is
$$
\nabla_U V - \nabla_V U - [U,V],
$$
i.e., the torsion acting on U and V, which has a geometrical interpretation.

Also note that the concept of ”constant” vector fields is not well defined on a general manifold.

1. What is the difference between Lie and covariant derivatives of vector fields?

Lie derivatives measure the change in a vector field along a flow, while covariant derivatives measure the change of a vector field with respect to a particular coordinate system.

2. When would you use a Lie derivative versus a covariant derivative?

Lie derivatives are useful for studying the behavior of vector fields along curves, such as in the study of differential equations. Covariant derivatives are used in differential geometry to study the intrinsic properties of a space.

3. How are Lie and covariant derivatives related?

The covariant derivative is a generalization of the Lie derivative, and in certain coordinate systems they are equivalent. However, in more general cases, the Lie derivative may not be well-defined, while the covariant derivative always exists.

4. Can the Lie and covariant derivatives be applied to any type of vector field?

Both Lie and covariant derivatives can be applied to any type of vector field, including those on curved spaces. However, their specific definitions and properties may vary depending on the type of vector field and the space it is defined on.

5. What are some real-world applications of comparing Lie and covariant derivatives?

The comparison of Lie and covariant derivatives is important in fields such as physics and engineering, where vector fields are used to describe physical quantities. For example, they are used in the study of fluid mechanics and electromagnetism to understand the behavior of vector fields in different situations.