Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Composite wire section as it relates to induction

1. Oct 18, 2014 #1
    Stuff I'm wondering about:

* can/does a conductors' cross-section influence inductive efficiency and/or directionality?

* consider a 'wire' made from a dielectric material, with a conductive material evaporatively deposited on it's surface. if this wire were asymmetrical in section, e.g. it was mostly flat, with one side smooth, and the other side wavy, with far more surface area on that side, wound into a flat spiral coil like a disk (with smooth side being 'heads', and wavy side being 'tails'). Would the electromagnetic forces also be asymmetrical relative to the centerline of this wire, being more strong on the wavy side?

* am I way, way off base here?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2014 #2
    Yes it does.

4. Oct 19, 2014 #3
    @zoki85 Thanks for replying to #1. I intuited the same. Do you have any idea about the second question? My thought is yes about #2 (asymmetrical sides) as well, and I think it has to do with the skin effect of the conductor. I'm not sure about the composite behavior though - or if a 'hollow' wire makes a difference in the overall behavior.

5. Oct 20, 2014 #4
    Yes, the effective inductivity also depends on the frequency (and skin effect)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook