What is the true composition of a space/time vacuum?

In summary, the conversation discussed a thought experiment involving a sealed container with a perfect vacuum inside and the possibility of expelling everything from it. The individual expressed their background and reasoning for their queries, which revolve around the concept of a controlled black hole and its propulsion abilities. They also questioned the use of the term "vacuum" in this context. Ultimately, a black hole is seen as the exact opposite of a vacuum and is more about the abundance of matter than the absence of it.
Bullhead
Thought experiment for discussion:
You have a sealed transparent container with a "perfect vacuum" inside of it. 1) List what is inside of the "empty" container. 2) Explain how you might go about expelling EVERYTHING from the container.

Physics news on Phys.org
You go first... :smile:

Likes russ_watters and Bullhead
berkeman said:
You go first... :smile:
No... 😏

LOL. It's necessary for you to post your thoughts (and links to your reading) so we know what your background is. There are several different ways to answer your question, so the more you can tell us about your thoughts on this, the better.

Likes AlexCaledin
Bullhead said:
Thought experiment for discussion:
You have a sealed transparent container with a "perfect vacuum" inside of it. 1) List what is inside of the "empty" container. 2) Explain how you might go about expelling EVERYTHING from the container.
A perfect vacuum -
An existential crisis,
For spacetime physics?

Likes Hamiltonian and berkeman
1) ""
2) remove 1)

Likes russ_watters
berkeman said:
LOL. It's necessary for you to post your thoughts (and links to your reading) so we know what your background is. There are several different ways to answer your question, so the more you can tell us about your thoughts on this, the better.
Not reading, but writing. My background is in industrial/mechanical engineering. I'm retired and have begun writing a science fiction anthology. Throughout it, I would like the reader to be wondering if the plot is actually happening or if it is all taking place inside of the protagonist's head due to a neurological disorder. (Shades of "A Beautiful Mind") Due to this and the fact that it is a work of fiction, I am able to forego probability and even plausibility to some extent, but not possibility.

My reasoning behind my queries has to do with something that will come to fruition near the end of this anthology. It will be a vessel that will be propelled/expelled by a controlled black hole in front of the vessel, pulling it forward, while simultaneously transferring that space/time around the vessel (creating a wormhole) to the rear of the vessel. The controlled dispersion of this causality will then also push the vessel forward. Eventually, the vessels creator and pilot will discover that they can instantly travel to any point in the universe while also staying in the same place.

In consideration of this, I attempted to put a black hole into its simplest terms. To me, this would be a "space/time vacuum". And of course, this led me to the questions of "is the word 'vacuum' too simplistic in this context?" and "how could something like this possibly by formed on a small and controllable scale?".

Bullhead said:
I attempted to put a black hole into its simplest terms. To me, this would be a "space/time vacuum".
Well, I think at any layman level it would be the exact opposite of 'vacuum' (which is in fact can be a quite complex and active thing too): it is an area which were stuffed full - and then were stuffed some more till it could not bear it any more.

If 'vacuum' can be connected to black holes, then it's rather the lack of our knowledge, not the lack of ... stuff :wink:

Likes russ_watters

1. What is a space/time vacuum?

A space/time vacuum refers to the absence of matter and energy in a specific region of space and time. It is also known as a vacuum state or empty space.

2. What is the true composition of a space/time vacuum?

The true composition of a space/time vacuum is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that it is filled with virtual particles and fields, while others propose that it is truly empty.

3. How is a space/time vacuum different from regular empty space?

A space/time vacuum is different from regular empty space because it is not completely empty. It contains fluctuating particles and fields that constantly appear and disappear. Regular empty space, on the other hand, is considered to be truly empty with no particles or fields present.

4. Can a space/time vacuum be created in a lab?

Yes, a space/time vacuum can be created in a lab using various methods such as cooling and compressing gases, or using high-energy particle accelerators. However, these vacuums are not absolute and may still contain some particles and fields.

5. What are the implications of understanding the true composition of a space/time vacuum?

Understanding the true composition of a space/time vacuum is crucial for our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the nature of the universe. It may also have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and energy production.