Calculating Compression of a Concrete Stand Under a Heavy Statue

• Thread starter mikefitz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compression
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a 2480-kg statue placed on top of a cylindrical concrete stand with a cross-sectional area of 6.5 x 10^-2 m2 and a height of 2.2 m. The question is how much the statue will compress the stand. The solution involves calculating the bulk modulus using the given values and using it to determine the change in volume caused by the contraction of the stand. The formula for this calculation is delta V = Vi + delta P + B, where B is the bulk modulus. However, the speaker is unsure of the bulk modulus of concrete and is seeking assistance in starting the problem.
mikefitz
A 2480-kg statue is placed on top of a cylidrical concrete (Y = 1.6 x 10^10 N/m2) stand. The stand has a cross-sectional area of 6.5 x 10^-2 m2 and a height of 2.2 m. By how much does the statue compress the stand?

this one deals with volume deformation but I'm unsure of how to start it out. I know I need to calculate the bulk modulus with the given values, then I will be able to calculate the change in volume. can anyone offer me some help to start this off?

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is pretty much the same as the others you posted. If you know the contraction of the concrete stand caused by the statue, then you can calculate the change in volume easily.

The proper formula I have been given is as follows: delta V = Vi + delta P + B

Where B is the bulk modulus; I cannot find the bulk modulus of concrete in my book - all that is listed are other solids such as Al and Steel. Am I correct to say that the above formula is what I am looking to use?

Related to Calculating Compression of a Concrete Stand Under a Heavy Statue

1. What is compression from a statue?

Compression from a statue refers to the force that is exerted on the ground by the weight of a statue. This force causes the ground to compress, or be pushed down, under the weight of the statue.

2. How does compression from a statue affect the ground?

Compression from a statue can lead to permanent deformation of the ground, as well as changes in the soil structure. This can potentially cause damage to nearby buildings or infrastructure.

3. Can compression from a statue cause earthquakes?

In rare cases, if the statue is very heavy and placed on unstable ground, it is possible for compression to cause small tremors or earthquakes. However, this is not a common occurrence.

4. How can compression from a statue be managed?

To manage compression from a statue, engineers can use various techniques such as spreading the weight of the statue over a larger area, using deep foundations, or reinforcing the ground with materials like gravel or steel beams.

5. Are there any environmental concerns related to compression from a statue?

In some cases, compression from a statue can lead to changes in the groundwater levels or affect nearby vegetation. It is important for engineers to consider these potential impacts and take measures to minimize them.