Calculating Pressure for Candle Compression

• Thread starter irish_enginee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compression
In summary: You might be better off trying to find someone who makes candles for a living and ask them how they do it.
irish_enginee
Hi doing a group project on making tea candles! Silly topic but anyway...

my part is to calculate the pressure needed to make a candle and having trouble with the calculations...

final dimension needs to be a 38mm diameter and 16mm height

using rotary compression to do this... candle wax comes in and candle comes out...

here is what i have done yet answer seems extreme, any advice would be great !

oh and have attached a word file with sketch and solid works screen capture so hopefully the whole thing makes some sense!

my workings

assume height of 40mm of wax will drop to give 16mm when compressd

therefore volume of melted wax is

V1=∏r^2 h liquid
=∏(0.019)^2 (0.04)
=0.001134m^2

V2==∏r^2 h compressed
=∏(0.019)^2 (0.016)
=0.00002166m^2

P1V1=P2V2
(101000)(0.001134)=(P2)(0.00002144)
therefore P2=2525kPa

i not really too sure what to think of this value?

not even too sure if i have gone about it in the right way

any help would be great!

oh and can't attach the word file as its too big!

Engineering news on Phys.org
irish_enginee: The answers you typed in post 1 do not match the equations you typed above the answers. It appears you did not check your calculations. And volume has units of m^3, not m^2. Try it again, and check your calculations multiple times. By the way ...

1. Always leave a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 38 mm, not 38mm. See the international standard for writing units (ISO 31-0).

2. For long numbers having five or more digits, the international standard says you can write the digits in groups of three, separated by spaces. E.g., 0.000 045 365 m^3, instead of 0.000045365 m^3.
I was not even aware liquid wax is significantly compressible. Perhaps it contains a lot of air?

Hi thanks for reply, sorry for mistakes. Think they are corrected below

I was thinking that liquid wax would contain lots of air too but would compressing it significantly not remove the air? Hence just leaving a solid candle?

"Hi doing a group project on making tea candles! Silly topic but anyway...

my part is to calculate the pressure needed to make a candle and having trouble with the calculations...

final dimension needs to be a 38mm diameter and 16mm height

using rotary compression to do this... candle wax comes in and candle comes out...

here is what i have done yet answer seems extreme, any advice would be great !

oh and have attached a word file with sketch and solid works screen capture so hopefully the whole thing makes some sense!

my workings

assume height of 40mm of wax will drop to give 16mm when compressd

therefore volume of melted wax is

V1=∏r^2 h liquid
=∏(0.019)^2 (0.04)
=0.000045364 m^3

V2==∏r^2 h compressed
=∏(0.019)^2 (0.016)
=0.000018145 m^3

P1V1=P2V2
(101000)(0.000045364)=(P2)(0.000018145) aside:101000 taken as atmospheric
therefore P2=252 kPa

i not really too sure what to think of this value?

not even too sure if i have gone about it in the right way

any help would be great!

oh and can't attach the word file as its too big!"

As an engineer I feel compelled to ask what value is added by calculating this

I have attached the general process i hope to use draw in a paint file

Also attached a screen shot of the unfinished process in solid works

Hope its clear

My problem is the candle wax will need to be compressed, yet not too sure how to calculate it

My calculation above is probably totally wrong but a push in the right direction would be great!

pictures should now be attached

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 406
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 432
From your calculations it appears that you are making an assumption that candle wax is a gas, and for the life of me cannot understand why you would do so. Is the compression prcocess an actual compression, or is it done to ensure that the wax is in the shape of the walls of the container with no air pockets in the finished candle,

Last edited:

What is candle compression?

Candle compression is a scientific concept that involves calculating the pressure exerted on an object when a candle is placed on top of it. It is a simple experiment that helps to demonstrate the relationship between pressure, force, and area.

How do you calculate pressure for candle compression?

To calculate pressure for candle compression, you need to measure the force applied by the candle and the area of contact between the candle and the object. Then, you can use the formula P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area, to determine the pressure exerted by the candle.

What materials do you need for candle compression experiment?

The materials needed for candle compression experiment include a candle, a small object (such as a coin or eraser), a ruler, and a scale to measure the force applied by the candle. You may also need a calculator to perform the necessary calculations.

What factors can affect the pressure for candle compression?

The pressure for candle compression can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the candle, the type of object used, and the surface area of the object in contact with the candle. The atmospheric pressure and the temperature can also have an impact on the results.

Why is candle compression experiment important?

Candle compression experiment is important because it helps to illustrate the concept of pressure and its relationship to force and area. It also demonstrates the practical applications of this concept, such as in engineering and construction, where understanding pressure is crucial for ensuring the stability and safety of structures.