Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressive pressure between interacting materials

1. Sep 21, 2012 #1
    Hello.

I'm conducting some experiments to test for the pressure exerted by a thermally expanding cylinder inside a tube. The cylinder is placed snugly inside the tube, usually with zero to a few 0.001s clearance. The cylinder has a higher coefficient of friction than the tube, therefore we expect pressure to be exerted onto the inside surface area. I've tried using
    \begin{equation}
    P=E\frac{\Delta R}{R}
    \end{equation}
    where E is the elastic modulus of the cylinder and $\Delta$ R is the constrained length (also considering the expansion of the outer tube). And R is the radius of the cylinder. Am I right in assuming the expansion is radial?

Now enter a new variable. The tube is lined with a soft fabric that will absorb some of the pressure as deflection. How can I calculate the pressure on the surface of the fabric liner caused by the thermally expanding cylinder? Is there a way to include both compressibilities (elastic modulii) into one equation? Help!

Thanks!!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted