Conformability elastic material compressed on a wavy surface

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding equations to determine conformability parameters for a finite elastic material (EPDM) compressed on a rigid slightly wavy surface. The goal is to optimize the thickness of the elastic material in terms of indentation depth, contact area, and pressure. The speaker suggests using finite element analysis, specifically using a "unit cell" approach, to solve the problem. They also mention that a simple "strength of materials" approximation may not be effective.
SolMech
Hey there,

I'm struggling in finding the useful equations to determine some conformability parameters for a finite elastic material (EPDM) compressed on a rigid slightly wavy surface. I would like to optimize the thickness of the elastic material in terms of indentation depth and thus contact area and pressure. To describe the situation I've added the following picture.
upload_2016-6-1_9-17-9.png

I would like to determine indentation depth u in terms of thickness t, pressure P and elastic modulus E. Could you assist me in finding the solution.

Engineering news on Phys.org
My inclination would be to solve this using finite element, particularly if the depth of the undulations is significant (compared to the thickness of the elastic material). You can use a "unit cell" consisting of half the wave laterally. I can't think of a simple "strength of materials" approximation that would work on this.

What is conformability elastic material?

Conformability elastic material is a type of material that can easily change shape and conform to different surfaces without losing its original properties.

How is conformability elastic material compressed on a wavy surface?

When conformability elastic material is compressed on a wavy surface, it will deform and conform to the shape of the surface, creating a tight and conforming fit.

What factors affect the conformability of elastic material on a wavy surface?

The factors that affect the conformability of elastic material on a wavy surface include the material's elasticity, thickness, and the amplitude and frequency of the waves on the surface.

What are the potential applications of conformability elastic material on a wavy surface?

Conformability elastic material can be used in various applications such as in medical devices, wearable technology, and packaging to provide a secure and comfortable fit on irregular surfaces.

What are the advantages of using conformability elastic material on a wavy surface?

Some of the advantages of using conformability elastic material on a wavy surface include its ability to evenly distribute pressure, reduce the risk of leaks or gaps, and improve overall performance and comfort in various applications.