Computational Astronomy career advice please?

In summary, the individual is a software engineer looking for advice on finding more interesting work in astronomy. They have experience in various languages but are struggling to find job opportunities in astronomy. They are considering freelance or hobby work in astronomy as well as applying for positions with companies like Google or Microsoft.
bergw
Hi All! My name is bergw, I'm new here and I'm looking for some advice.

I'm a software engineer in the CAD business who is dying for more interesting work! I'd really like to get back to the interests I had back from college(Astronomy) but I'm finding it difficult even finding software engineer jobs in Astronomy and the few out there seem to put an obscene importance on a few comparatively niche languages that I haven't used.

I've got about 15 years worth of generic software experience with 10 specific to C++/perl/shell scripting, 4.5 in php/mysql/Adobe Flex. From what I can tell, python is pretty standard and a few places really like QTToolkit both of which I've played with but can't convince my current job to use.

So here I am, looking for advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
bergw said:
I'm a software engineer in the CAD business who is dying for more interesting work! I'd really like to get back to the interests I had back from college(Astronomy) but I'm finding it difficult even finding software engineer jobs in Astronomy and the few out there seem to put an obscene importance on a few comparatively niche languages that I haven't used.

If you (or anyone else) can find software engineering jobs in astronomy, then please send me a link to them so that I can apply for them. Most people in astronomy (including myself) go in the other direction and get computational jobs that have little obviously to do with astronomy.

Astronomical programming is something that you can do as a hobby, but I don't know of many jobs for it, and the reason they put an obscene amount of emphasis on obscure languages is that they have to have some rational way of sorting through the resumes.

Twofish-quant, the sites I visit most often are NRAO, NOAO, Lowell, and STSCI.

Mal4mac, yeah definitely not holding my breath for anything. Thanks for the link to the UK position! I'll take a look.

What about freelance type work or even doing something for free just to get exposure to whatever languages and problems or is this bordering on desperation?

mal4mac said:
Many are called but few are chosen. If you must do this, I suggest you apply everywhere! Here's one:

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/ADU819/research-software-engineer

The problem with those types of jobs is that are looking at a stack of resumes from people with astronomy Ph.D.'s. If you don't have an astronomy Ph.D., then you almost certainly are not going to get the position. If you do have an astronomy Ph.D, then you *probably* aren't going to get the position.

bergw said:
What about freelance type work or even doing something for free just to get exposure to whatever languages and problems or is this bordering on desperation?

Lot's of people do amateur astronomy as a hobby, and if you have time it's not hard to do amateur astronomy programming as a hobby. There are a ton of open source astronomy packages out there that you can work on. (Celestia to name one.)

The other thing is that if you make even small amounts of money on the side, you can start using that money as a tax write off. If you make $300 making educational telescope software, and then spend $299 on a telescope, you can deduct that via Schedule C.

Also, you might be better off if you try something a little different. For example, there are people that make decent amounts of money with educational or hobby software, and you might try building something for the iPad. For that matter, you could apply to Google or Microsoft and see if they have positions open working on Google Sky or Google Moon.

Related to Computational Astronomy career advice please?

1. What skills are necessary for a career in computational astronomy?

To pursue a career in computational astronomy, it is important to have a strong foundation in both astronomy and computer science. You should also have experience with programming languages such as Python, C++, and Java, as well as knowledge of data analysis and statistics.

2. What kind of education is required for a career in computational astronomy?

Most computational astronomy positions require at least a bachelor's degree in astronomy, physics, or computer science. However, for more advanced positions, a master's or PhD may be required. It is also beneficial to take courses or gain experience in both astronomy and computer science.

3. What types of jobs are available in computational astronomy?

There are a variety of job opportunities in computational astronomy, including research positions at universities or government organizations, data analysts at observatories or space agencies, and software developers for astronomical software and simulations.

4. How can I gain experience in computational astronomy?

One way to gain experience in computational astronomy is through internships or research opportunities during your undergraduate or graduate studies. You can also participate in online courses or workshops to learn new skills and techniques.

5. What advice do you have for someone interested in a career in computational astronomy?

My advice would be to gain a strong understanding of both astronomy and computer science, as well as continually stay updated on the latest advancements and technologies in the field. Networking with professionals in the industry and gaining hands-on experience through internships or research projects can also greatly benefit one's career in computational astronomy.