Computer Engineer to Astrophyscist?

In summary: LakshmananIn summary, Rahul Lakshmanan is an Indian seeking guidance on what to do about his career. He has studied most of classical physics, and has some experience in Electrical Engineering, Engineering mechanics, and Modern Physics. He recommends contacting admissions officers at universities you are considering applying to, and telling them of your situation.
rahullak
Hi people. I am an Indian and seek guidance on what to do about my career. First, a little bit on my profile:

- Has Passion for science and astronomy
- Loves Physics
- Loves computer science - fascinated with AI
- Admitted to Flotech and Arizona, Tucson for Bachelor's in Astronomy. Not enough $$$ to pursue.
- Had to take next best thing - Computer Engineering Bachelor of Technology from India (mainly because of 4 year requirement to take Masters in the US - Indian physics degrees are 3 years only).
- Applied to 9 Universities for Masters in Astro - good spread from middle-top to lower rank. No admission :(

- GRE general - 800 Q, 700 - V
- Gre Physics - 650 ( :( ?) (only once a year in India)
- GPA - 8.65/10.00

- Started work for Hewlett-Packard in India in the Software Services division to spend time usefully for time being.

I would like some guidance as to what my options are. Is it futile on my part to try again? Even with a better GRE Physics score do i have good chance at a University that is at the forefront of at least one subarea of astro?

What other options do I have in the Space industry? Space Science?
What about Computational Physics? Do I have a good chance? There are precious few places that offer that. Any recommendations?

Is there any other route I can use to study Astro in America?

I would be grateful for any suggestions/ hints/ criticisms/pointers.

I'd also consider any alternative careers related to my profile.

Thanks and regards,

Rahul Lakshmanan

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it depends upon a lot of different information, but I would say that you should never give up on something-- it's possible to switch between the most bizarre subjects, especially pre-masters, so I don't see why it's not posible to do your switch. How much astronomy or astrophysics, or just physics in general have you studied? Did you take any extra courses, or fit some courses in as part of your degree if you thought you would be interested in the masters? If so, that would be a huge help, but if not then I don't think it'll be too much of a problem.

I think it also depends specifically which area of the field you are applying to go into. There is a lot of computer programming and simulation used in, at least astronomy (I'm not sure where the umbrella of astrophysics actually ends) so there may be something you are able to do in this respect.

I would suggest sending an email to either the admissions tutor at a university you want to apply to, or a professor in the field explaining your current situation. If you do that, and have a conversation with them before you apply, then you are more likely to get accepted.

I'm not a physicist, so take this advice with a grain of salt, but you're probably not going to stand much chance of admission without going back and getting a bachelor's in physics first. You can probably complete one in just a couple of years.

- Warren

Thank you cristo and warren for your inputs

Cristo:

I have studied most of classical physics in school. I did a course on Electrical Engineering, one on Engineering mechanics and one in Modern Physics (Spl. Relativity, Quatum Mechanics basics, statistical physics, atomic).

I think I'll do as you suggest about contacting admissions and telling them of my situation.

Warren:

Is there any alternative but related field that I do have a chance of getting in?

regards,

Rahul

1. How can a computer engineer transition to become an astrophysicist?

There are a few different paths that a computer engineer can take to become an astrophysicist. They may choose to pursue a graduate degree in astrophysics, which would provide them with the necessary knowledge and skills. Alternatively, they could gain hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities in the field of astrophysics.

2. What skills from computer engineering are transferable to astrophysics?

Computer engineers have a strong foundation in mathematics, programming, and problem-solving, which are all essential skills in astrophysics. They also have experience working with complex data and analyzing large datasets, which is crucial in many areas of astrophysics.

3. Can a computer engineer specialize in a specific area of astrophysics?

Yes, there are many subfields within astrophysics that a computer engineer can specialize in, such as planetary science, cosmology, or astrophysical instrumentation. Their background in computer engineering can even give them a unique perspective and skillset in these specialized areas.

4. Are there any challenges in transitioning from computer engineering to astrophysics?

One of the main challenges may be gaining a strong understanding of the physical principles and theories that underpin astrophysics. However, with dedication and a willingness to learn, this challenge can be overcome. Additionally, some specialized knowledge in areas such as astronomy or physics may be required, depending on the individual's previous coursework.

5. What career opportunities are available for a computer engineer turned astrophysicist?

As an astrophysicist, there are a variety of career opportunities available, including research positions at universities, government agencies, or private companies. They may also work in data analysis or software development roles, utilizing their computer engineering skills in the field of astrophysics.