Computer Engineering & Physics

In summary, the speaker is a high school senior considering studying computer engineering in college, but also has a strong interest in astrophysics. They are unsure if they should pursue both fields or just stick with engineering. The speaker's dad and advisors are suggesting sticking with engineering, but the speaker wonders if it would be possible to incorporate astrophysics into their education. The person they are speaking with suggests taking astrophysics classes as options while pursuing an engineering degree to see if it is still an interest. The speaker is reminded that engineering is a lot of work.
BreezyHJK
Hello,
I am currently a senior in high school.
So, since colleges are just around the corner, I've been thinking of getting myself in an engineering school to study computer engineering. My dad wants me to get involved in software engineering, which actually sounds appealing to me. I enjoy solving problems and working on computers and all that.
But then, I wanted to learn astrophysics since forever, and I was wondering if I can study both. My parents and advisors are suggesting that I should just stick with engineering, but is it ok to stick on astrophysics in my education? Or should I just do physics in undergrad?
I'm confused on whether this would be a good idea, and if it would actually work out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
engineering itself is a lot of work. Keep that in mind.

Hi there,

Nothing stops you from taking option classes in astrophysics, while pursuing an engineering diploma. By doing so, you will also get to know if astrophysics would be a field that still interests you, once you look deeper into it.

Cheers

1. What is the difference between computer engineering and physics?

Computer engineering deals with the design, development, and maintenance of computer systems, while physics is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world.

2. How are computer engineering and physics related?

Computer engineering and physics are related in that both fields rely on mathematical principles and problem-solving skills. In addition, computer engineering often uses principles and concepts from physics in the design and operation of computer systems.

3. Can someone with a background in physics pursue a career in computer engineering?

Yes, individuals with a background in physics can pursue a career in computer engineering. Physics provides a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving, which are essential skills in computer engineering. Additionally, many computer engineering programs offer courses that bridge the gap between physics and computer science.

4. Are there any specific areas where computer engineering and physics overlap?

There are several areas where computer engineering and physics overlap, such as in the development of new technologies like quantum computing and in the design and development of computer hardware, such as processors and memory.

5. What skills are needed for a career in computer engineering and physics?

To succeed in computer engineering and physics, individuals need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematics and physics principles. In addition, proficiency in programming languages and knowledge of computer hardware is necessary for a career in this field.