Designing Digital Systems: From Scratch or Reusing Designs?

In summary: You would be on a team with other engineers who are responsible for different aspects of the design. They would help you with the design and test aspects of the project.
mac2cd
Hi guys I have a bachelor in Electrical Engineering and I have been working in Testing field which is not hard at all ofcourse. I have just been offered a computer hardware engineering position which will involve design development and testing...am not quite sure if I would be able to do it or not so I want to know in the companies, do you mainly just resuse the designs from previous products to build the new one or do you have to make it from scratch...thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you'd be part of a team that does the design. They would tweak the previous design for performance reasons or port it to a new chip making process or add some new feature. You would be using tools where you might select a shift register from a library of components for that chip technology for your new CPU and the design software would pull in the proper details to add it to the other design layers.

I worked in VLSI testing many years ago and its quite interesting to develop testcases to checkout chip designs. You really get to see how complex the chips are and how its not all like programming a computer and yet it is a computer. Our tests were for VLSI memory testing or engineers handled running simulations on the design and creating test loads for logic chips which were a combination of sequenced test inputs and sequenced expected test outputs. The tester would handle collecting test results and telling what cycles failed whereupon you could backtrack thru the tests and determine what mfg defect caused the failure.

I am assuming you are talking digital design.
The larger the team, the less you get to spread your wings. Design tasks vary from High performance uP design where the design engineers know every gate by name, to mixed signal embedded systems where you need to be able to take a system level view, and design/integrate multiple components and controllers. In the latter case you commonly develop new sub-systems that get used over in subsequent designs and need to be able to integrate externally developed IP.

The best design engineers are the ones that can write the best testbenches. Your experience there will be very helpful.

I've always avoided the "timing specs from the timing group, power specs from the power group, functional specs from the systems group, toss it over the wall to the test group, toss it over the next wall to the backend group" environment that occurs on a large team digital project. But, that's me.

What is a computer hardware engineer?

A computer hardware engineer is a professional responsible for designing, developing, and testing computer systems and components. They work with both hardware and software to ensure that computer systems are functioning efficiently and effectively.

What education is required to become a computer hardware engineer?

Most computer hardware engineers have a bachelor's degree in computer engineering, electrical engineering, or a related field. Some may also have a degree in computer science or a similar discipline.

What skills are necessary to be a successful computer hardware engineer?

Computer hardware engineers need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of computer systems and components. They also need to be detail-oriented and have excellent communication skills to work effectively with other members of a development team.

What is the job outlook for computer hardware engineers?

The job outlook for computer hardware engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 2% from 2019 to 2029. This growth is attributed to the increasing demand for technology in various industries, such as healthcare, finance, and manufacturing.

What are some common responsibilities of a computer hardware engineer?

Some common responsibilities of a computer hardware engineer include designing, testing, and evaluating computer components and systems, troubleshooting hardware and software issues, and collaborating with software engineers to ensure compatibility between hardware and software. They may also be involved in developing new technologies and improving existing ones.