Computer Sales in Canada: 1985-1995, 1.5M Reached

In summary: For the year 1985 is t = 0 ? For the year 1985 is t = 1 ?In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the number of computers sold in Canada between 1985 and 1995 can be estimated by a third-degree polynomial. The goal is to determine the year in which home computer sales reached 1.5 million. The conversation explores various approaches to solving this problem, including using formulas for finding the roots of third-degree polynomials, guessing and checking, and using a graphing calculator. Ultimately, it is suggested that the most efficient method is to use a calculator.
Veronica_Oles

Homework Statement

Between 1985 and 1995 the number of computers in thousands sold in Canada is estimated by c(t) = 0.92(t^3 + 8t^2 + 40t +400)
In what year did home computers sale reach 1.5 million?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to isolate the t to obtain time. So far this is what I have gotten up to

1230.43 = t^3 + 8^2 + 40t
Here is where I am stuck. Would I have to factor out a t in order to move on to th next step?

Physics news on Phys.org
Veronica_Oles said:

Homework Statement

Between 1985 and 1995 the number of computers in thousands sold in Canada is estimated by c(t) = 0.92(t^3 + 8t^2 + 40t +400)

Homework Equations

I know I have to isolate the t to obtain time. So far this is what I have gotten up to

Here is where I am stuck. Would I have to factor out a t in order to move on to th next step?

There are formulas to find the roots of any third degree polynomial. However, I assume that you did not cover those formulas in class. In exercises where you are not allowed to use a calculator, you can 'guess' one of the roots and then use something like synthetic division to find the remaining quadratic polynomial. In this case however, this seems quite impossible so I would use a calculator. Note too that you wrote 8^2 instead of 8t^2.

Veronica_Oles said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The second term on the right should be 8t2. I'm assuming, but didn't verify, that the 1230.43 number has the 400 term already folded in.

Although there is a technique for solving third-degree polynomials, it's not something I have committed to memory, and it's very complicated. One approach would be to graph the equation C = t3 + 8t2 + 40t, and find the point at which the C value is at or close to 1230.43, then read off the t value at that point.

Another approach is to start with an education guess, say t = 10, and see what C value you get, adjusting t up or down in successive calculations.
Veronica_Oles said:

Likes Veronica_Oles
Veronica_Oles said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Factoring is only useful for the case where the othe side of the equation is zero.

By the way, what is the definition of the variable, t ?

Math_QED said:
There are formulas to find the roots of any third degree polynomial. However, I assume that you did not cover those formulas in class. In exercises where you are not allowed to use a calculator, you can 'guess' one of the roots and then use something like synthetic division to find the remaining quadratic polynomial. In this case however, this seems quite impossible so I would use a calculator. Note too that you wrote 8^2 instead of 8t^2.
Sorry about that I meant 8t^2. The book uses a graphing calculator however we were meant to solve it algebraically:/

SammyS said:
Factoring is only useful for the case where the othe side of the equation is zero.

By the way, what is the definition of the variable, t ?
T is for time.

Veronica_Oles said:
Sorry about that I meant 8t^2. The book uses a graphing calculator however we were meant to solve it algebraically:/

The exact solution is very complicated to get. Typically in such a problem, we unashamedly employ numerical methods, such as graphical analysis, resorting to a spreadsheet or computer algebra system, or using a decent scientific calculator.

For an exact method, see, eg.,
http://www.math.vanderbilt.edu/~schectex/courses/cubic/

Last edited:
Veronica_Oles said:
T is for time.
Yes, time. But how is that time measured?
For the year 1985 is t = 1985 ?

Related to Computer Sales in Canada: 1985-1995, 1.5M Reached

1. What is the significance of the 1.5 million reached in the computer sales data?

The 1.5 million reached in the computer sales data represents the total number of computers sold in Canada between 1985-1995. This is an important metric for understanding the growth and popularity of computers during this time period.

2. How does the computer sales data in Canada compare to other countries?

The computer sales data in Canada can be compared to other countries by looking at their respective sales data during the same time period. This can provide insight into the relative popularity and adoption of computers in different regions.

3. What factors may have influenced the increase in computer sales during this time period?

There are several factors that may have influenced the increase in computer sales in Canada between 1985-1995. These include advancements in technology, decreasing prices of computers, and the growing importance of computers in both personal and professional settings.

4. Are there any notable trends or patterns in the computer sales data?

Upon further analysis, it may be possible to identify notable trends or patterns in the computer sales data. This could include fluctuations in sales based on economic conditions, changes in consumer preferences, or the impact of new technology on sales.

5. How does this computer sales data impact our understanding of the technology industry in Canada?

The computer sales data can provide valuable insights into the growth and evolution of the technology industry in Canada. It can help us understand the market trends, consumer behavior, and the overall impact of technology on Canadian society during this time period.