1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer science important for physics majors?

1. Nov 10, 2006 #1
    I'm a physics major but I'm currently attending a community college and i wont be able to transfer until I finish the spring term 2007 at a community college. I plan on transferring to the UC schools, but I'm not sure which one, and I want to eventually go to grad school and become a theoretical physicist. Here's the problem:
    For UC Berkeley, the transfer guide says that they recommend, not require, me to take any computer programming class
    For UCLA and UC Santa Barbara, the transfer guide doesnt require nor recommend any computer programming class
    For UC San Diego, they require C++
    For UC Irvine, they require C++ or C#
    So my question is: is it really important for physics majors to even take a computer science class? does it matter which one? or should I wait until after I transfer to take a class?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2006 #2
    Yes, it's important. If you at least know one language it will be easier to learn others as needed when you do research. Plus the basic classes are easy A's. I don't think you need to wait to take it.
  4. Nov 11, 2006 #3
    I'd probably take C++ since two of your school choices list this particular language as a "requirement." I think the departments would probably allow you to petition some other language as a replacement, but why bother? I'd say this is a credit that would transfer easily, so there's no need to wait.
  5. Nov 11, 2006 #4
    I guess I'll take C++ then. By the way, will taking the class online be hard if I am not the best when it comes to working with computers?
  6. Nov 11, 2006 #5
    I guess the main problem with taking the class online is that it'd be much harder to ask for help when you're stuck (and I think most people would get stuck from time to time).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?