1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer Vision Geometry - Collinear Points In A Pinhole Camera Model

1. Feb 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that a line in 3D space is imaged to a line on the image plane in a pinhole camera model.

2. Relevant equations
    A 3D point give by (X,Y,Z) will be imaged on the image plane at
    x = f([itex]\frac{X}{Z}[/itex])
    and
    y = f([itex]\frac{Y}{Z}[/itex])
    where f is the focal point.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My first thought was a more intuitive one. If you have a line in 3D space and the point which is the pinhole, you have a plane on which both the pinhole and line lie. Where this plane intersects the image plane it forms a line and this is where the 3D line is mapped to on the image plane. However, this seems like too much hand waving.

Instead I decided to try saying that for the line in 3D there must be a parametric equation given by
    X = at + d
    Y = bt + e
    Z = ct + g
    Then
    x = f[itex]\frac{at+i}{ct+k}[/itex]
    y = f[itex]\frac{bt+j}{ct+k}[/itex]
    From here I know that for a line to exist on the image plane there must be a q and m such that
    y = mx + q
    Yet, this doesn't seem to lead me in the right direction.

Any suggestions? Thank you for your time!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2012 #2
    imaging a plane containing the line and the pinhole; this plane intersects with the image plane, the intersection
    is obviously a line, isn't it just the image of the original line? I apologize for giving the answer directly, I simply can't think of any more disguised form ...

4. Feb 20, 2012 #3
    Like I said, that was my first thought, but it seemed to hand wavy. Maybe I'm just worrying to much and that's a fine answer.

Thank you.

5. Feb 20, 2012 #4
    You're welcome, it's good to worry a bit more than others, as long as you're not obsessive :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook