Computing energy in the electron of Li 2+?

In summary: After correcting this error, the correct calculation for the energy of the one electron in Li2+ is E_1 = 2.428×10^-18 eV.
robertjordan

Homework Statement

Using the Bohr model of the atom, compute the energy in eV of the one electron in Li2+.

Homework Equations

[itex]E_n=\frac{m\cdot e^4 \cdot z^2}{2n^2 \cdot \hbar^2}[/itex]
Where m= mass of electron, z= atomic number, e= charge of an electron, n is the energy level.

^ I think those are the right meanings of the variables...

The Attempt at a Solution

plugging in 1 for n, 3 for z, 9.11*10^-31 kg for m, -1.602*10^-19 Coulombs for e, and 1.054572×10^-34 J*s for h, we get
E_1= ((9.11*10^-31 kg))*((-1.602*10^-19 C)^4)*(3^2)/(2(1.054572×10^-34 J s)^2) = 2.428×10^-37 s^6A^4/(kg m^4) (second to the 6 amperes to the fourth per kilogram meter to the fourth).

This clearly doesn't seem right. What am I doing wrong? I need help...

Physics news on Phys.org
robertjordan said:

Homework Statement

Using the Bohr model of the atom, compute the energy in eV of the one electron in Li2+.

Homework Equations

[itex]E_n=\frac{m\cdot e^4 \cdot z^2}{2n^2 \cdot \hbar^2}[/itex]
Where m= mass of electron, z= atomic number, e= charge of an electron, n is the energy level.

^ I think those are the right meanings of the variables...

The Attempt at a Solution

plugging in 1 for n, 3 for z, 9.11*10^-31 kg for m, -1.602*10^-19 Coulombs for e, and 1.054572×10^-34 J*s for h, we get
E_1= ((9.11*10^-31 kg))*((-1.602*10^-19 C)^4)*(3^2)/(2(1.054572×10^-34 J s)^2) = 2.428×10^-37 s^6A^4/(kg m^4) (second to the 6 amperes to the fourth per kilogram meter to the fourth).

This clearly doesn't seem right. What am I doing wrong? I need help...

Check the equation for the energy. ε02 is missing from the denominator.

[itex]E_n=\frac{m\cdot e^4 \cdot z^2}{2n^2 \cdot \hbar^2\cdot ε_0^2}[/itex]

ehild

1. How is the energy of an electron in a Li 2+ atom computed?

The energy of an electron in a Li 2+ atom is computed using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. The specific equation used is the time-independent Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the Coulomb potential of the Li 2+ nucleus and the electron's wave function.

2. What factors affect the energy of an electron in a Li 2+ atom?

The energy of an electron in a Li 2+ atom is affected by several factors, including the distance from the nucleus, the strength of the Coulomb potential, and the principal quantum number of the electron's energy level. Additionally, the electron's spin and angular momentum also play a role in determining its energy.

3. How is the energy of an electron in a Li 2+ atom related to its orbitals?

The energy of an electron in a Li 2+ atom is directly related to its orbitals. Orbitals are regions of space where there is a high probability of finding an electron, and the energy of each orbital is determined by the principal quantum number. As the principal quantum number increases, so does the energy of the orbital and the electron within it.

4. Can the energy of an electron in a Li 2+ atom be measured?

Yes, the energy of an electron in a Li 2+ atom can be measured using various spectroscopic techniques, such as photoelectron spectroscopy or X-ray spectroscopy. These methods involve exciting the electron from its ground state to a higher energy level and measuring the energy difference between the two states.

5. How does the energy of an electron in a Li 2+ atom compare to other atoms?

The energy of an electron in a Li 2+ atom is unique and cannot be compared directly to other atoms. However, it is generally known that the energy levels of electrons in atoms with higher atomic numbers tend to be higher due to the increased nuclear charge and smaller size of the atom.