Comsol help write a boundary condition

In summary, the conversation includes a question about how to write a boundary condition that is dependent on the gradient of a variable in COMSOL. The response suggests using the "diff" internal function or its shorthand, and mentions that COMSOL's syntax is taken from Matlab and there is a forum and model library available for help. There is also a mention of a gradient boundary condition type, but it is not supported in v4.
Lusann Yang
Hi there,

I'm using comsol for the first time, and I think I've got everything working, except that I need to write a boundary condition that is dependent upon the gradient of a variable. How do I tell Comsol to take the gradient? I suppose I can define my own function, but I don't even know where to begin... (Man, comsol's support is not up to par. I don't think they even have a list of functions available anywhere.)

Thanks so much,
Lusann

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, you could use the "diff" internal function or then its shorthand, like ux is diff(u,x) and then it in the BC. Yeah, getting going with this software isn't quite as fast as with several others.

All the syntax for COMSOL is taken from Matlab, so if you are familiar with the latter the former is pretty comfy. You can also send e-mails to help@comsol.com (or something like this) and they will tell you how to do stuff. There is also a forum on their website you can search, i often find helpful stuff there. Finally, the model library is very useful! Just find a model that is similar to yours and look inside to see how they did it. You can even save the whole model as an m-file and read out the syntax of all the commands.

Actually, i think there is even a gradient boundary condition type depending on what your application mode is... Just define the variable in the appropriate variable table and then insert it in the space provided in the boundary condition tab.

diff (u,x) is not supported in v4. Any idea how to use it there?

1. What is a boundary condition in Comsol?

A boundary condition in Comsol is a set of constraints or rules that define the behavior of a physical system at its boundaries. It is used to simulate the effects of the surrounding environment on the system.

2. How do I write a boundary condition in Comsol?

To write a boundary condition in Comsol, you can use the Boundary Settings window, which can be accessed by right-clicking on the boundary in the model tree. You can then select the type of boundary condition you want to apply and specify the necessary parameters.

3. Can I use equations to define a boundary condition in Comsol?

Yes, you can use equations to define a boundary condition in Comsol. The software has a built-in equation-based interface that allows you to enter mathematical expressions to define boundary conditions.

4. What are some common types of boundary conditions in Comsol?

Some common types of boundary conditions in Comsol include fixed values, symmetry, insulation, and periodicity. These conditions are often used to specify the behavior of boundaries in different physical systems.

5. Is there a difference between boundary conditions in 1D, 2D, and 3D models in Comsol?

Yes, there can be differences in the way boundary conditions are applied in 1D, 2D, and 3D models in Comsol. In 1D models, boundary conditions are typically defined at points, while in 2D and 3D models, boundary conditions are defined on curves and surfaces, respectively.