COMSOL: Periodic inlet flow rate in a pipe

In summary, the user is seeking assistance in adding a periodic inlet flow rate as a boundary condition in COMSOL for 2D axisymmetric Transient Navier Stokes. They are aware of the periodic boundary condition option but are unsure of how to use it and have been unable to find helpful references. They also mention having the flow rate data vector from Matlab and wanting to use it as a boundary condition at the inlet. Any ideas or input on this issue would be appreciated.
juvel006
Hi all -

I would like to add a periodic inlet flow rate (Q(t) over an entire period T) as a BC in COMSOL. Does anyone know how to do this in 2D axisymmetric Transient Navier Stokes through COMSOL? I'm aware of the periodic boundary condition option available, but really just don't know how to use it and have found no good references to it. Any ideas or input to this problem would be appreciated.

- Zach

Computer science news on Phys.org
PS: I already have the flow rate Q(t) data vector from matlab, now I want to make it a BC at the inlet!

1. How can I set a periodic inlet flow rate in a pipe using COMSOL?

To set a periodic inlet flow rate in a pipe using COMSOL, you can use the "Periodic Flow Rate" boundary condition in the "Inlet" settings. This allows you to define the amplitude, frequency, and phase of the periodic flow rate.

2. Can I simulate a non-constant periodic inlet flow rate in COMSOL?

Yes, COMSOL allows you to simulate non-constant periodic inlet flow rates by using a time-dependent function in the "Periodic Flow Rate" boundary condition. This function can be defined in the "Expression" field and can vary over time.

3. How does COMSOL handle the periodic inlet flow rate boundary condition?

COMSOL uses a Fourier decomposition approach to handle the periodic inlet flow rate boundary condition. This means that the time-dependent function is decomposed into a series of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies and amplitudes, which are then used to calculate the periodic flow rate at each time step.

4. Can I visualize the periodic inlet flow rate in COMSOL?

Yes, you can visualize the periodic inlet flow rate in COMSOL by creating a plot of the inlet flow rate over time. This can be done by selecting the "Periodic Flow Rate" boundary condition in the "Parameters" section of the "Results" tab and then clicking on the "Plot" button.

5. How can I validate the results of my simulation with a periodic inlet flow rate in COMSOL?

To validate the results of your simulation with a periodic inlet flow rate in COMSOL, you can compare the average flow rate at the outlet with the theoretical value. You can also compare the oscillations of the flow rate over time with the expected behavior based on the defined amplitude, frequency, and phase of the periodic flow rate.