Concavity of y = x(cosx) at x = pi/3: Second Derivative Test

  • Thread starter Thread starter donjt81
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
donjt81
Messages
70
Reaction score
0
I am doing this problem and I am getting stuck at solving the equation

problem: Use the second derivative test to determine the concavity of the following function. y = x(cosx) at x = pi/3

solution: y' = -xsinx + cosx
y'' = -xcosx - 2sinx = 0

and then i did
-xcosx = 2sinx ( i don't know if this is correct)
and then I am stuck... i don't know how to proceed.

please help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The function is upward concave is f''(x) > 0, and downward concave if f''(x) < 0. So just plug x=pi/3 into your function for y''.