Concept question about stokes theorem?

In summary, when using Stokes theorem, it is sometimes possible to replace the surface of integration with an easier one that has the same bounds. This can be useful in certain situations. Additionally, when the vector field is a curl and the surface is closed, the integral using Stokes theorem will always yield a value of 0. To determine if a vector field is a curl, you can check if it is independent of path or if its divergence is 0.
madcattle

Homework Statement

This is not actually a homework question, just a question I ran into while studying for my math final. When I am using stokes theorem:

∫∫(curlF ° n)dS

I have listed in my notes from lecture that there are time when it is applicable to replace dS with an easier surface to integrate over, but that has the same bounds. Can anyone explain what this means? Or where I might use this fact?

I also have one more question. I see that I also have written down that when F is a curl and S is closed, the integral always yields 0 as its answer when using stokes theorem. How do I tell when F is a curl? Does that just mean that I should check to see that it is independent of path?

Thanks for any clarification you can yield!

Physics news on Phys.org
For example, if you want to calculate the line integral of a vector field around the unit circle in xy plane, rather than integrating its curl over the upper half unit sphere, you integrate over the unit disk in xy plane, a vector field is curl only if its divergence is 0

Thanks a lot, that was really helpful.

1. What is Stokes' Theorem?

Stokes' Theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a surface to the line integral of the same vector field around the boundary of the surface.

2. What is the significance of Stokes' Theorem?

Stokes' Theorem allows us to solve certain types of integrals by converting them into simpler integrals that are easier to evaluate. It also has important applications in physics, particularly in the study of fluid flow and electromagnetism.

3. How is Stokes' Theorem different from Green's Theorem?

Stokes' Theorem is a generalization of Green's Theorem, which only applies to planar regions. Stokes' Theorem can be applied to any smooth surface in three-dimensional space.

4. What are the conditions for Stokes' Theorem to be applicable?

There are two main conditions for Stokes' Theorem to be applicable: the surface must be smooth and the vector field must be continuous and differentiable over the surface. Additionally, the surface must have a well-defined boundary and the orientation of the surface and boundary must be consistent.

5. How is Stokes' Theorem used in real-world problems?

Stokes' Theorem has various applications in physics and engineering, such as in the calculation of fluid flow through a surface, the calculation of work done by a magnetic field on a moving particle, and the calculation of electric and magnetic flux through a surface. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics and in the development of mathematical models for physical systems.