Conceptual question: Bernoulli's Principle Syringes

In summary: It seems I understood what you meant after all. In summary, the smaller needle will experience a higher viscous drag and will empty faster than the larger needle.
bismuthman

Homework Statement

I'm interested in an explanation of the forces/principles involved in the following scenario: There are two syringes, level with one another, containing the same volume of water. The difference between the syringes is the gauge of the needle; one is of greater diameter than the other. One wishes to empty both syringes in the same amount of time.

Homework Equations

To empty the syringes in equal time, will one plunger require a greater force than the other?
How will the magnitude of the pressure on the walls of the two syringes vary?
How will the speed of the fluid exiting the syringe compare?
(Sort of vague) What can we learn by applying Bernoulli's principle to the problem?

Lastly:

Thanks you guys. I'm not very physics-minded and have been studying for the MCAT lately. I feel I should be able to understand any scenario in terms of the underlying principles. Not too realistic, but I'm especially interested in this one!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Bismuthman. Welcome to Physics Forums.

This is not a problem that one would solve using Bernoulli. Because of the tiny diameter of the needle, the fluid flow in this system will be dominated by viscous pressure losses. The intertial pressure variations associated with Bernoulli will be negligible. Have you learned about viscous flow yet? If so, have you studied laminar viscous flow in a tube?

Chet

My understanding of viscosity is about as thick as a flashcard: the internal friction of a fluid, the resistance of the fluid to motion. I am aware of the distinction between laminar and turbulent flow. What exactly do you mean by laminar viscous flow? Am I to understand that the viscosity of the fluid increases in the needle of either syringe (moreso in the smaller of the two)?

Edit: Thanks for you answer!

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. In this scenario, the fluid has a constant volume and is being forced out of the syringes at the same rate. However, the syringe with the larger diameter needle will allow for a greater volume of fluid to pass through it in the same amount of time compared to the syringe with the smaller diameter needle.

This means that the fluid in the larger syringe will be moving at a faster speed as it exits the needle, resulting in a lower pressure within the syringe compared to the smaller syringe. This can be explained by Bernoulli's principle, as the faster moving fluid has a lower pressure.

Therefore, to empty both syringes in the same amount of time, the plunger of the larger syringe will require a greater force to push the same volume of fluid through the larger needle. This is because the larger needle offers less resistance to the fluid flow, requiring a stronger force to push it through at the same rate as the smaller needle.

Applying Bernoulli's principle to this problem allows us to understand the relationship between fluid speed and pressure, and how this affects the flow of fluid through different sized openings. In this scenario, we can see how the diameter of the needle can impact the speed and pressure of the fluid, and how this relates to the force required to empty the syringes in equal time. This concept can also be applied to other fluid dynamics problems and is important in understanding the behavior of fluids in various systems.

1. What is Bernoulli's Principle?

Bernoulli's Principle is a physical law that states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle was first discovered by Swiss mathematician Daniel Bernoulli in the 18th century and has been applied to various fields of science, including fluid dynamics and aerodynamics.

2. How does Bernoulli's Principle apply to syringes?

In syringes, Bernoulli's Principle explains why the plunger is easier to push down when the needle is inserted into a liquid. As the liquid is forced through the needle, its speed increases, causing a decrease in pressure. This decrease in pressure allows the plunger to move more easily.

3. Can Bernoulli's Principle be used to explain how airplanes fly?

Yes, Bernoulli's Principle is a key factor in the lift force that allows airplanes to fly. When air moves over the curved surface of an airplane wing, its speed increases, resulting in a decrease in pressure according to Bernoulli's Principle. This creates a pressure difference between the top and bottom of the wing, creating lift.

4. Are there any limitations to Bernoulli's Principle?

While Bernoulli's Principle is a fundamental law of fluid dynamics, it does have limitations. It only applies to ideal fluids (incompressible and non-viscous) and does not take into account factors such as turbulence and air viscosity. In certain situations, other factors may also play a role in fluid behavior.

5. How is Bernoulli's Principle used in everyday life?

Bernoulli's Principle has many practical applications in everyday life. It is used in the design of airplane wings, car spoilers, and even sports equipment such as golf balls. It also explains how chimneys and exhaust pipes work, as the speed of the exhaust gases increases, causing a decrease in pressure and creating draft. In medicine, Bernoulli's Principle is used in devices such as nebulizers and inhalers.