Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concerning the importance of preffered time coordinates

1. Aug 18, 2011 #1
    I have been reading around in general relativity, and see that, for Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime, the notion of a preferred time coordinate comes up quite often (to distinguish positive frequencies). Why must the coordinate be 'preffered,' i.e. why must it be a consequence of the manifold's structure.

I understand this may sound like a stupid question, but any spacetime manifold admits at least one timelike (or two null coordinates) coordinate - why not simply use this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2011 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

I don't there's any fundamental reason, isn't it just a matter of practicality. The things you want to do, such as separate the wave equation to define positive frequencies, write down a Green's function, etc, can be carried out explicitly in cases where the time coordinate has simple global properties.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook