Condensation as humidity control

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a cold object, such as a cold beer, to remove humidity from a room. The idea is similar to a commercial dehumidifier, which uses a refrigeration unit and fan. The conversation also mentions the need to measure humidity in the air and suggests using a psychrometric chart and a humidity measuring device. However, it is noted that DIY dehumidifiers may not be as effective as commercial ones.
Yud
TL;DR Summary
Controlling humidity with a simple condensation experiment.
Context:
Small living room,
Moderate amount of humidity if the room doesn't get ventilation but is cold outside.

Question:

If I use some object that can stay in a cold temperature enough to cause condensation (like having a cold beer sitting for a while) and remove the condensed liquid every a few minutes, would this work as a dehumidifier of sorts, reducing humidity on the room is set on?

If this does make sense I would love to do this as a fun house experiment and I wonder, how could I measure humidity in the room?

Thank you for reading this, I'm open to any recommendations and I can do some engineering level math and physics calculus if needed. Also, if this post doesn't belong in this section please let me know where to move it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yud said:
Summary: Controlling humidity with a simple condensation experiment.

If I use some object that can stay in a cold temperature enough to cause condensation (like having a cold beer sitting for a while) and remove the condensed liquid every a few minutes, would this work as a dehumidifier of sorts, reducing humidity on the room is set on?

That's basically what a commercial dehumidifier does

Likes russ_watters
Oh perfect! Thank you!

So I can follow dehumidifier blueprints to create something similar and I just need to learn how to measure humidity in the air.

Measure humidity in the air with something like this:
Untitled.jpg

Found at Walmart and many other stores for about $15.00 US. Then use a psychrometric chart (search the term) to find the dew point (search that term also).

Yud said:
Oh perfect! Thank you!

So I can follow dehumidifier blueprints to create something similar and I just need to learn how to measure humidity in the air.
Dehumidifiers take a fair amount of energy (if you want to make a serious difference) the things you can buy that just sit there with absorbent blocks in them will not shift vast amounts of water. ~To make one, you need a refrigeration unit and fan. I have not come across a DIY version anywhere and I think it may be one of those 'it would be nice if' type projects. Perhaps look for a second hand one - checking that it actually produces water from its drain tube before you part with good money. :smile:

Yud said:
Quick clarification: for air compressors they are usually called "driers" and it isn't quite the same as room air dehumidification. Usually they use desiccants. The principle at work is that the moisture carrying capacity of air drops as the pressure increases, so water almost literally gets "squeezed out".

1. What is condensation and how does it relate to humidity control?

Condensation is the process of water vapor turning into liquid when it comes into contact with a surface that is cooler than the dew point temperature. This is important for humidity control because excessive condensation can lead to high levels of moisture in the air, which can cause issues such as mold growth and discomfort for occupants.

2. What factors contribute to condensation in indoor environments?

The main factors that contribute to condensation are temperature and humidity levels. When warm, moist air comes into contact with a cooler surface, it cools down and releases moisture in the form of condensation. Other factors that can contribute to condensation include inadequate ventilation, air leaks, and the presence of water sources such as leaks or high humidity levels.

3. How can condensation be controlled for humidity control purposes?

There are several ways to control condensation in indoor environments. One effective method is to maintain a consistent temperature and humidity level through proper ventilation and air conditioning. This helps to prevent the buildup of moisture in the air and on surfaces. Additionally, using dehumidifiers and insulating surfaces can also help to reduce condensation.

4. What are the potential consequences of excessive condensation in buildings?

Excessive condensation can lead to a range of issues in buildings, including the growth of mold and mildew, which can cause health problems for occupants. It can also damage building materials such as wood, drywall, and insulation, leading to structural issues and costly repairs. In addition, condensation can create a damp and uncomfortable indoor environment.

5. How can condensation be monitored and measured for humidity control purposes?

Condensation can be monitored and measured using a variety of tools and techniques. One common method is using a hygrometer to measure the relative humidity in the air. This can help to determine if humidity levels are too high and if condensation is likely to occur. Additionally, visual inspections can also be useful in identifying areas of condensation and potential sources of moisture. Regular maintenance and moisture testing can also help to identify and address any issues with condensation in buildings.