Can Bubbling Air Through Water Control Relative Humidity and Temperature?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a compressed air tank, regulator, and flow meter to provide a humid air stream along tubing. The speaker wants to know if bubbling air through water will result in 100% relative humidity and if the amount of water affects this. They also mention heating the water and air to control humidity levels. The conversation ends with a request for guidance on the subject.
Thorny
Hi,

I am trying to provide a humid air stream along some ¼” tubing, where I can roughly control the relative humidity and temperature, this doesn't need to be exact.

I already have a compressed air tank, regulator and flow meter to provide the correct flow rate.

I need to find out whether bubbling air through water will result in 100% relative humidity and whether or not this depends on the the amount of water it is bubbled through?

If so I can heat the water to get the right amount of moisture in the air at 100% humidity and then heat the air further in the outlet pipe in order to lower the humidity to the level I require.

Please excuse my ignorance as I do not have an extensive knowledge of this subject, any help or guidance you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Rob.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the equations for mass transfer to a sphere in terms of the Schmidt number and Reynolds number.

1. What is the importance of controlling RH and temperature of air?

Controlling the relative humidity (RH) and temperature of air is important for several reasons. Maintaining proper RH and temperature levels can help prevent the growth of mold and bacteria, protect sensitive equipment and materials, and create a comfortable and healthy environment for occupants.

2. How is RH and temperature of air controlled?

RH and temperature of air can be controlled through various methods such as air conditioning, dehumidifiers, and humidifiers. These systems adjust the temperature and moisture content of the air to maintain desired levels.

3. What are the ideal RH and temperature levels for different environments?

The ideal RH and temperature levels can vary depending on the environment and purpose. Generally, for human comfort, the recommended RH level is between 30-50% and the temperature should be kept between 68-76°F. However, for specific settings such as storage facilities, museums, or laboratories, different levels may be required.

4. What are the consequences of not controlling RH and temperature of air?

If RH and temperature of air are not properly controlled, it can lead to a variety of issues such as mold growth, corrosion of equipment, discomfort for occupants, and damage to sensitive materials. These consequences can be costly and potentially hazardous to health.

5. How can I monitor and maintain control of RH and temperature of air?

There are various tools and devices available for monitoring and maintaining control of RH and temperature of air. These include hygrometers, thermometers, and HVAC systems. It is important to regularly check and calibrate these instruments to ensure accurate readings and proper control of the air's conditions.