1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Condition of a vector field F being conservative is curl F = 0,

1. Feb 19, 2007 #1
    When we say condition of a vector field F being conservative is curl F=0,does it mean that F=F(r)?.I know normally it does not look so.Please,then site an example where F is not a function of r,but still curl F=0.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2007 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

By "curl of F=0" we mean

[tex] \nabla_{\vec{r}} \times \vec{F}=0 [/tex]

for an [itex] \vec{F}=\vec{F}\left(\vec{r}\right) [/itex]

If [itex] \vec{F}\neq \vec{F}\left(\vec{r}\right) [/itex] then

[tex] \nabla_{\vec{r}} \times \vec{F}\equiv 0 [/tex]

4. Feb 19, 2007 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One example: A constant vector field [itex]\vec F(x\hat x + y\hat y + z\hat z) = a\hat x + b\hat y + c\hat z[/itex] has no curl.

The curl of a gradient is necessarily zero:
    [tex]\vec F(\vec x) = \nabla \phi(\vec x)[/tex]

So all you need to do is come up with a scalar function [itex]\phi(\vec x)[/itex] that cannot be expressed as a function of [itex]||\vec x||[/itex].

The constant vector field corresponds to [itex]\phi(\vec x) = ax + by + cz[/itex], where [itex]\vec x = x\hat x + y\hat y + z\hat z[/itex]. Then [itex]\nabla \phi(\vec x) = a\hat x + b\hat y + c\hat z[/itex].

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  5. Feb 19, 2007 #4
    I thank you both.And I was not interested about constant fields.
    However,What about F=F(v) where v=dr/dt
    And also if curl F=0 where F=F(t),or,F=F(v) does it mean the field is conservative?

6. Feb 19, 2007 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A picked a constant vector field as a simple counterexample. Any vector field that can be expressed as the gradient of a scalar function has zero curl.

For the latter, [itex]\vec F = \vec F(\vec v), \vec v = d\vec r/dt[/itex], the curl is zero since the partials of [itex]\vec F[/itex] with respect to components of [itex]\vec r[/itex] are zero. Drag in a constant density fluid satisfies these conditions, and is definitely not conservative.

7. Feb 19, 2007 #6
    Unless you're talking about a viscous fluid and [itex]\mathbf{v} = \mathbf{v}(\mathbf{r}, t)[/itex] is the velocity field. But then things are still more complicated.

Generally velocity/time dependent forcing fields are not conservative. I really dislike it when classes take the perspective that if the curl is zero, then it has to be conservative.

8. Feb 19, 2007 #7
    DH:If F=F(v) has curl F=0,then what do you mean by this?
    StatMechGuy:I really did not understand:

9. Feb 19, 2007 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I agree. A zero curl simply means the field is irrotational, period.

10. Feb 20, 2007 #9

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A vector field assigns a vector to each point of the "base space": it is a mapping v(p) from the base space M into a vector space V. In the settings where curl and so on make sense, it can be shown that, if curl_p v = 0 over M, AND IF M IS SIMPLY CONNECTED (no "holes"), that there exists a scalar function f(p) over M, such that v(p) = grad f.

Now, nothing stops you from adding extra parameters to this problem. That is, if you consider a "vector field" which is in fact a *family* of vector fields:
    v(p,lambda), with p in M, but lambda any other (set of) parameters, such as time or whatever, well the same theorem holds, for each individual member (indicated by lambda) of the family: if curl_p v(p,lambda) = 0 then v(p,lambda) = grad_p f(p,lambda).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?