1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditional expectation (discrete + continuous)

1. Aug 29, 2006 #1
    I need help in solving the following problem:

Let X be uniformly distributed over [0,1]. And for some c in (0,1), define Y = 1 if X>= c and Y = 0 if X < c. Find E[X|Y].

My main problem is that I am having difficulty solving for f(X|Y) since X is continuous (uniform continuous over [0,1]) while Y is discrete (takes values of 0 or 1 only)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, "E[X|Y]" does not make sense to me. That is the expected value of X given that Y is what? E[X|Y= 1] can be done and E[X|Y= 0].

Of course, if Y= 1, then X>= c so that is just E[X] where X is now uniformly distributed over [c, 1]. If Y= 0, then X is uniformly distributed over [0, c).

4. Aug 29, 2006 #3
    The problem is asking for the best predictor of X based on Y which is essentially E(X|Y)...I believe I should have different answers for different values of Y.

I got what you are saying though HallsofIvy. I'll try to work out the problem again. Thanks!

5. Aug 30, 2006 #4
    Hi, an additional question regarding the problem...

Given the question above, here's what I was able to get (that's suppose to be a chart below):

X: ..........................[c,1]...................................[0,c)
    Y:.............................1........................................0
    E[X|Y]:...................(1+c)/2 ................................c/2
    X-E[X|Y]:..........[(c-1)/2, (1-c)/2]....................[-c/2, c/2 )

Solving, I got Var(X) = (c^2)/12

letting Z = X-E[X|Y]

How do I solve for Var(Z)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?