1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conducting rail ciruit, against gravity

1. Jun 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So my text book has a lot of example of conducting rails moving horizontally with unknown variables of F and B, but how would you approach a problem that has such a device pointed vertically with the moving bar droping? lets say R and B are known and we need to find I(current) sufficient to counteract gravity so it doesn't accelerate past a velocity required to generate that current.
    2. Relevant equations
    Fb=qv x B
    R = delta V/I
    Fg = mg (call the mass of the rod m )
    I = p/delta V

3. The attempt at a solution

I played with it, but not sure if Im right.The part im stuck on is what relation of the magnetic field do I set equal to Fg

is it Fg= qV x B

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2010 #2
    So I found a formula for magnetic levitation that allows me to relate magnetic field strength and gravity

F= IlB=mg

if Im right this allows me to determine the current needed to counteract gravity.Does this sound right? Anybody no where that formula is derived from?

4. Jun 6, 2010 #3
    Can somebody give me some advice here? Its kind of hard to ask questions that aren't in the book, if your unsure of what your doing :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook