1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conduction, How much heat flows through per second?

1. Sep 7, 2009 #1
    An iron pot filled with boiling water is on top of a stove. The bottom has a surface area of 200 cm2 and a thickness of 2.00 mm. If the bottom has a temperature of 480°C, how much heat flows through it per second? Answer wanted in kJ/s

Q/t= (kt)A*(deltaT/d)

The thermal conductivity (kt) for iron is 73, the area is 2m, the diameter is 0.002m, and the change in temperature is 380. So, i plug them into the equation: 73(2)*380/0.002= 27740000J which is 27740kJ. But this is the wrong answer. I already tried dividing it by 60 and that doesn't work either. Where am I going wrong? Should I use the thermal conductivity for water instead of iron or is my change in temperature wrong? I think it would be 380 because the surface is boiling water (100) and the bottom is 480.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How many cm^2 in a m^2?

4. Sep 7, 2009 #3
    1cm^2= 0.0001m^2. I can't believe it was that simple. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook