Conduction Through Alum. Plate

In summary, the conversation discusses the setup of a 3' x 7' insulated sub floor with an electric heat mat (2' x 5') and a reflective layer, covered by a .100" diamond plate. The heat mat outputs 150 watts, 1.3 amps, and 96 ohms, resulting in 400.92 btu/hr. The unit is used to store a motorcycle in a garage using natural convection. The individual is unsure of how to determine the expected heat transfer through the .100" aluminum plate and questions whether lumped capacitance is necessary. It is noted that the calculated BTU output should actually be 511.5 btu/hr.
sdlamb100
I am an ME with my years of heat transfer approx. 20 years back. I have a 3' x 7' insulated sub floor that utilizes an electric heat mat (2' x 5'). The heat mat is on top of the sub floor. Oh and a reflective layer between the heat mat and the sub floor. Finally I have a .100" diamond plate on top.
My heat mat puts out 150 watts, 1.3 amps, 96 ohms. Being the mat is 10 ft^2, that is 15 watts ft^2 which transfers to 400.92 btu/hr. (I think).
This whole unit will store a motorcycle in a garage with a cover. So assume natural convection. I am stumbling and/or confused on the method to find the heat transfer I can expect through the .100" alum. plate to know if my mat is capable.
I know for the most part this is basic but do I need lumped capacitance etc? Any help is more than appreciated. Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ooops my apologies ... I based my BTU's off a 12 watt mat whereas the actual is 15w. So my BTU's should be 511.5 btu/hr!?

1. How does conduction occur in an aluminum plate?

Conduction in an aluminum plate occurs when heat energy is transferred through direct contact between the molecules of the plate. The molecules vibrate, causing the adjacent molecules to also vibrate and pass on the heat energy.

2. What factors affect the rate of conduction through an aluminum plate?

The rate of conduction through an aluminum plate can be affected by the thickness and surface area of the plate, the temperature difference between the two ends of the plate, and the thermal conductivity of the material.

3. Can conduction through an aluminum plate be controlled?

Yes, conduction through an aluminum plate can be controlled by adjusting the temperature difference between the two ends of the plate, using insulating materials, or altering the thickness and surface area of the plate.

4. What is the thermal conductivity of aluminum?

The thermal conductivity of aluminum is approximately 237 W/mK at room temperature, making it a good conductor of heat energy.

5. How does conduction through an aluminum plate compare to other materials?

Aluminum is a good conductor of heat energy, but it is not the most efficient. Materials such as copper, silver, and gold have higher thermal conductivity values, while materials like wood and plastic have lower values.