Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conductor and insulator

1. Aug 20, 2012 #1
    why is it quite difficult to understand about conductor,insulator and resistor in parellel and series circuit?any way and method for easy understanding....help plz....

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2012 #2

psparky

Gold Member

It's difficult because it takes years of experience to master.

Again, master thevenin and norton equivalents and you will see the light. But it will take a long time.....in other words, you will not master it today.

4. Aug 22, 2012 #3
    Weeks or days, not years.
    thevenin and norton are refinements useful from time to time, not in the general case.

In parallel, components share one voltage and add the currents. In series, they share one current and add the voltages. Write the equations, deduce the conductance and resistance.

Later, you can do the same with AC current, adding capacitors and inductors, computing with complex numbers.

At some point, you can add power sources.

5. Aug 23, 2012 #4

psparky

Gold Member

I humbily disagree due to my teaching experience.

Your average person is not that smart and it takes a long time to master circuits. It took me a while as well. Truly gifted people will catch on quick, but not your average joe shmoe.

Thevenin is more of a teaching tool to get people used to shorting voltage sources and opening current sources. Anytime you see more than one source this should be instantaneous.....superposition should be your first thought. Also teaches them KCL AND KVL. When finding total resistances...same thing...short voltage sources and open current sources. These thoughts are automatic when I look at any circuit. It's good stuff in my opinion.

6. Aug 24, 2012 #5
    The original poster wanted to put resistors in series and parallel, and I feel this easier than Thevenin, Norton, or the (much worse) circuit theories that have been developed, and which may be learned later.

Sure, the more general methods with Laplace transform and fluence graphs take years, but aren't necessary for insulators and conductors.

7. Aug 31, 2012 #6
    dhanish,

It's not, once you learn the simple basics. I assume you know what a conductor, insulator, and resistor is. Now, what specific question do you have with series and parallel connections.

Ratch

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook