Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help understanding these terms

  1. Aug 17, 2014 #1
    Need yout help in understanding these terms

    Hello everyone, nice to meet you all

    First of all, please know that English is not my mother language and I work as a translator in training and I have these tools and accessories and I really need to know what they do, could you kindly describe what each one does in simple terms?? please note that I am no electrical engineer but this is very important to me

    Thank you

    Parallel Groove connector for tapping of Aluminum conductors
    Parallel AL-Cu tap off clamp
    CU overhead line jumper clamp
    Brass terminal with clamp
    AL-CU tap-off clamps with cable lugs
    Brass parallel groove clamps for copper conductors
    LV live line connectors
    MV live line connectors
    Connectors for preinsulated derivation on CU bare conductors
    Tap-off clamps with simultaneous tightening torque
    Wedge clamps for tap or public lighting conductor
    dead end clamps for self supporting bundles
    suspension assemblies for insulated neutral messenger
    dead end assemblies for insulated neutral messenger
    insulated supports for preassembled LV networks on Facade walls
    wall type support and straps
    double running-out blocks with nylon rollers for insulated LT and MT cables
    Aluminum running-out blocks for insulated and bare overhead lines
    pipe for taps
    reversible ratchet spanner
    neutral grease for contacts
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2014 #2

    Simon Bridge

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    It sounds like a list of components from a kitset of a blueprint. Is it your job to translate some instructions or something? I can give you a loose guide to understanding the labels, but I can only do that in English. How can I tell what words you already know for me to make a comparison?

    Anything called a "connector" is for joining two things together.
    Anything called a "clamp" is a specific kind of connector for holding things tight by pressing.
    "... with cable lugs" means they come with a flat bit of metal on the end with a hole in it: a screw goes through the hole. (a "cable" is a heavy wire)

    A "spanner" is a tool for tightening and loosening bolts - a ratchet spanner is especially rigged so you don't have to let go of it in order to turn a bolt 360deg. "reversible" means that the ratchet mechanism works clockwise and anticlockwise ...

    You say you already have these things there in front of you?
    What they each do should be apparent from looking at them.... the spanner you'd have to fiddle with a bit: try it on a bolt. It should have a switch on it to change the way it turns the bolt.
    So I am having trouble understanding where you get stuck.
  4. Aug 17, 2014 #3

    jim hardy

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

  5. Aug 19, 2014 #4
  6. Aug 19, 2014 #5
    I want to know what do they Mean by (Tapping) as in
    Parallel Groove connector for (tapping)of Aluminum conductors
    and Tap-off as in
    Parallel AL-Cu (tap off) clamp
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  7. Aug 19, 2014 #6


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    They are all components or tools used by electrical distribution linesmen.
    They are for holding the wires onto the poles or houses, or for joining different sized wires.
    The wires can be copper = Cu, or aluminium = Al.
    The neutral grease is to keep water out of connectors. Petroleum jelly = petrolatum.

    Tapping a conductor is when a conductor running along a road has a second wire connected through to a house.

    I connected to your www link, selected the English language flag, then downloaded the catalogue. It is in Portuguese.
    At the top of each page is the translation in Portuguese, English and French of the components you listed.
  8. Aug 19, 2014 #7
    Thank you,I am having trouble in visualizing them , yes I downloaded the english version but as I mentioned, I can't understand the meaning of Tapping and Tap-off (Is tapping means Derivation , separation or connecting)? Tap off? is it (to Remove)? or what???
  9. Aug 19, 2014 #8


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    To take a small amount of power from a power line.

    Attached Files:

  10. Aug 19, 2014 #9

    These are all components for electric distribution, usually used by lineman and, at times, test engineers. As far as the specific use of each one, that's outside my scope of helpfulness; but, some I do know. You could use a search engine and search terms like "lineman's guide" or "electrical distribution lineman handbook" or "electrical distribution parts guide", something of that nature. Can't guarantee you'll turn anything up that'll be in your scope with that, but it might get you better results than trying to cipher through what you'll find in a Google search using the specific names. I'll give you the few things that are familiar to me.

    LV live line connectors are used for low voltage distribution. These can be used to replace open pole mounted disconnects, for connection on tension poles, as short-circuit connector,connection of branching network ,work under voltage and worker protection against accidental re-connection of disabled network; obviously, the use for these are vast. Not sure how to put this in "laymen's" terms. Sorry. The theme is, "they connect".

    MV is the same as LV except it means Medium Voltage as opposed to Low Voltage.

    Parallel groove connectors connect two cables together using a couple bolts and two curved metal plates.

    Suspension assemblies for a neutral messenger simply hang overhead distribution lines.

    These are just off the top of my head. A Google search using the keywords I listed might give good results. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
  11. Aug 19, 2014 #10

    jim hardy

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

  12. Aug 19, 2014 #11

    Simon Bridge

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    In English, the most common use for the word "tap" is as a noun: "faucet" ... when it's a verb, it comes from the older use "to tap a keg", where a keg is a kind of small barrel for holding beer or spirits. Tapping a keg means to put a small faucet in the side so that the contents may be poured out is small amounts.

    In order to put a faucet in the side of a keg, a small hammer was used to gently strike the metal faucet so its pipe (which was sharpened) would penetrate the wooden sides... so "tapping" can also refer to a series of small knocks or the sound made by a series of small knocks as in Poe's The Raven "and so gently you came rapping,\ And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door,\That I scarce was sure I heard you..."; or when a doctor "taps your knee" to test your reflexes... and "tap dancing", a style of dancing where the sound of feet striking a surface is deliberately part of the dance.

    It is also possible to put a faucet into the side of a pipe which carries a flowing liquid. It is basically the same procedure - except you usually want to put a long thin pipe into the side of a large one ... as in "tapping a water-main" to get water to a house or "tapping a vein" to draw blood. You see the pattern?

    Electricity in a wire is commonly thought of as like a fluid flowing through a pipe - so if you attach a small wire to the side of a big one, the image is like tapping a water-main. This could be tapping an electricity main power line to bring electricity to a house, or tapping a power line in your car to bring power to a new accessory like a GPS device.

    You should now be able to extend the idea to wire-tapping (to listen to other people's telephone conversations) and to tap-in or tap-out.

    Q. What is the cure for water on the brain?
    A. A tap on the head.
  13. Aug 20, 2014 #12
    Thank you all, I am begining to understand a little bit better, as for tapping and tap-off, the reason I ask is because if you saw the link to the company's catalog, its in three languages ,the Portuguese says
    Derivação=derivation (under Tapping )
    ligadores de serviços bimetalicos AL-CU= AL-CU Bimetallic connectors services (Under Tap off)
    you see why I was confused
    Thank you again for the help
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  14. Aug 21, 2014 #13

    Simon Bridge

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    Yep - jargon is different in different languages.
    It's not meant to be understood outside the profession in any language ;)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook