1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Conductors and electric field problem

1. Sep 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What would the electric field lines look like if two opposite charges were placed within an infinite plane conductor?

2. Relevant equations

None that I am aware of.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that electric field is 0 inside of the conductor. I know that if a single charge was in the conductor, that the electric field would be the same as the charge would normally emanate outside of the conductor. However I am having trouble visualizing what two opposite charges electric field would look like. Originally I thought that the electric field would look almost like a magnetic field due to the two opposite charges. I also wonder though if the two charges would cancel and there be no electric field outside of the conductor.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2010 #2
    Re: Conductors

The charges of a dipole cancel yet it has a field at almost all points in space.

4. Sep 23, 2010 #3
    Re: Conductors

Ok. That seems to make sense to me. That seems more in line with my original train of thought. Thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook