Conflicting statements from two topology textbooks

In summary, there are conflicting statements from topology textbooks regarding the relationship between limit points and set unions. Cullen's and Schaum's textbooks state that (A U B)' = A' U B' is true, while a university pdf solution to Munkres' problems states that it is false. There is also confusion about the truth of (A n B)' = A' n B' and the validity of these statements for infinite unions and intersections. However, it has been proven that (A U B)' = A' U B' is true, and the statements hold for finite unions.
mathboy
Conflicting statements from topology textbooks

Definitions: A point p is a limit point of A iff all open sets containing p intersects A-{p}. Let A' denote the set of all limit points of A. So far, so good.

Cullen's topology book (1968) states that
(A U B)' = A' U B'.
I read her proof carefully and it looks good. Schaum's topology book (1965) also states the same thing and its proof also looks good.

However, a university pdf solution to Munkres' problems (1st edition, p.100 #8d) states that (A U B)' = A' U B' is false. I read the discussion of the incorrect logic that is easily made in arriving at the "false conclusion." But Cullen's and Schaum's proofs don't use that incorrect logic, but they prove it differently.

I'm so confused. Is it true or false?

While we're at it. Is (A n B)' = A' n B' true? And what about infinite unions and infinite intersections? Oddly, I also haven't seen either statement in the form of a theorem (or a question asking for a proof) in any recent topology textbook.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ok, I found a counterexample to the infinite union case: A_n = (1/n, 1-1/n), n=1,2,3..., and to the infinite intersection case: A_n = (-1/n, 1/n), n=1,2,3...

If the statement: A c B implies A' c B' is true (this is true, right?), then I have found that
1) U(A') c (UA)'
2) (A n B)' c A' n B' (I found a counterexample where equality does not hold)

The finite union case gives equality IF (A U B)' = A' U B' is true.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure (A U B)' = A' U B' is true. Everything else you said is fine, too.

1. What are the main differences between the conflicting statements in the two topology textbooks?

The main differences between the conflicting statements in the two topology textbooks may vary depending on the specific topic or concept being discussed. However, they can range from differences in definitions, proofs, examples, or even the overall approach to the subject.

2. How can I determine which textbook is correct?

Determining which textbook is correct can be challenging and may require further research or consultation with a more experienced topology expert. It is important to carefully analyze and compare the conflicting statements, consider their logical foundations, and look for additional sources or explanations to support one over the other.

3. Can these conflicting statements be resolved?

In most cases, conflicting statements in topology textbooks can be resolved by examining the underlying assumptions and clarifying any misunderstandings or misinterpretations. However, there may be rare cases where the conflicting statements represent different valid perspectives or approaches to the subject.

4. How do these conflicting statements affect my understanding of topology?

Conflicting statements in topology textbooks can be a valuable learning experience as they can challenge and deepen your understanding of the subject. By critically evaluating and reconciling these conflicting statements, you can develop a more comprehensive and nuanced understanding of topology.

5. What should I do if I encounter conflicting statements in my own research or study?

If you encounter conflicting statements in your own research or study, it is important to carefully analyze and critically evaluate the evidence supporting each statement. You can also seek guidance from a mentor or consult with other experts in the field to gain a better understanding and resolution of the conflicting statements.