Conformal Field Theory: Questions & Answers

In summary: S}} \frac{\partial \bar{x}^{c}}{\partial x^{a}} \right) \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{S}} \frac{\partial \bar{x}^{d}}{\partial x^{b}} \right) \eta_{c d} = \eta_{a b} . This means that the transformation rule of a quasi primary field is given by \frac{1}{\sqrt{S}} \frac{\partial \bar{x}^{a}}{\partial x^{b}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt
Ace10
Hi all,

my question is rather a simple one and regards conformal transformations. On "Applied CFT" by P.Ginsparg, http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/9108028.pdf , on page 10, gives the transformation rule of a quasi primary field and relates the exponent of 1.12 to the one of 1.10. My first question is how can I obtain 1.10 and secondly, how the first equation of 1.11 is related to the one of 1.12..

I know that under dilatations: x'→λx , but how can I write this for a field? It has to do with the Jacobian 1.10? Is this somehow related to the volume element? (I see the determinant of the metric in the denominator and I think that is related to the volume element but I'm not sure..)
Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ace10 said:
Hi all,

my question is rather a simple one and regards conformal transformations. On "Applied CFT" by P.Ginsparg, http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/9108028.pdf , on page 10, gives the transformation rule of a quasi primary field and relates the exponent of 1.12 to the one of 1.10. My first question is how can I obtain 1.10 and secondly, how the first equation of 1.11 is related to the one of 1.12..

I know that under dilatations: x'→λx , but how can I write this for a field? It has to do with the Jacobian 1.10? Is this somehow related to the volume element? (I see the determinant of the metric in the denominator and I think that is related to the volume element but I'm not sure..)

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

The defining relation of the conformal group [itex]C ( 1 , n - 1 )[/itex] is given by [tex]\bar{g}_{a b} ( x ) = \frac{\partial \bar{x}^{c}}{\partial x^{a}} \frac{\partial \bar{x}^{d}}{\partial x^{b}} \ \eta_{c d} = S( x ) \ \eta_{a b} . \ \ \ (1)[/tex] Taking the determinants and assuming even-dimensional space-time with signature [itex](1 , n - 1)[/itex], we find [tex]( - \bar{g} ) = | \frac{\partial \bar{x}}{\partial x} |^{2} = S^{n} ,[/tex] or [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{- g}} = S^{- \frac{n}{2}} = | \frac{\partial x}{\partial \bar{x}} | .[/tex] From this, we obtain [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{S( x )}} = | \frac{\partial x}{\partial \bar{x}} |^{\frac{1}{n}} . \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (2)[/tex] In order to understand how the fields transform, you really need to study the representation theory of the conformal algebra. You can find more details in
www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=172461
However, we can do it loosely in here. Let us rewrite (1) in the form [tex] \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{S}} \frac{\partial \bar{x}^{c}}{\partial x^{a}} \right) \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{S}} \frac{\partial \bar{x}^{d}}{\partial x^{b}} \right) \eta_{c d} = \eta_{a b} .[/tex] Therefore, it is clear that the matrix [tex]\Lambda ( x ) \equiv \frac{1}{\sqrt{S}} \frac{\partial \bar{x}}{\partial x} ,[/tex] is an element of the Lorentz group [itex]SO(1,n-1)[/itex]. Moreover, this [itex]\Lambda (x)[/itex] forms a linear representation of the conformal group. This is because both [itex]\frac{ \partial \bar{x}^{a}}{\partial x^{b}}[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{S}=| \frac{\partial \bar{x}}{\partial x}|^{\frac{1}{n}}[/itex] are themselves linear representations. This allows us to extend any linear representation of the Poincare group to the full conformal group. Therefore, given the finite-dimensional (matrix) representation [itex]\Lambda \rightarrow D(\Lambda) , \ \forall \Lambda \in SO(1,n-1)[/itex], the conformal transformation [itex]x \rightarrow \bar{x}[/itex] can be represented by [tex] \mathcal{C}(\frac{\partial \bar{x}}{\partial x})= \left( \sqrt{S(x)} \right)^{ - \Delta} \times D( \Lambda(x)) = \left( \sqrt{S(x)} \right)^{ - \Delta} \times D( \frac{1}{\sqrt{S(x)}}\ \frac{\partial \bar{x}}{\partial x} ) ,[/tex] where [itex]\Delta[/itex] is a real number (the scaling dimension) if [itex]D(\Lambda)[/itex] is irreducible (Schur's lemma), otherwise a matrix satisfying [itex][\Delta,D(\Lambda)]=0[/itex]. Indeed, all finite-dimensional representations of [itex]C(1,3)[/itex] are completely specified by the finite-dimentional irreducible representations [itex](j_{1},j_{2})[/itex] of the Lorentz group [itex]SO(1,3)[/itex] and those of the non-compact group of pure dilatations [itex]SO(1,1)[/itex] labelled by the scaling dimension [itex]\mathcal{R}(\sqrt{S(x)}) = \left(\sqrt{S} \right)^{- \Delta}[/itex]. For example, if [itex]V^{a}(x)[/itex] is a field transforming in the vector representation of the Lorentz group: [itex]\tilde{V}^{a}(\tilde{x}) = \Lambda^{a}{}_{b} \ V^{c}(x) ; \ x^{a}\rightarrow \tilde{x}^{a} = \Lambda^{a}{}_{c} \ x^{c}[/itex], then, under a conformal transformation [itex]x \rightarrow \bar{x}[/itex], we have [tex]\bar{V}^{a} ( \bar{x} ) = \mathcal{C}^{a}{}_{c} ( \frac{\partial \bar{x}}{\partial c} ) \ V^{c} ( x ) , \ \ \ \ (3)[/tex] where [tex]\mathcal{C}^{a}_{c} ( \partial \bar{x} / \partial x ) = \left( \sqrt{S} \right)^{- \Delta} \ D^{a}{}_{c}( \frac{1}{\sqrt{S(x)}} \ \frac{\partial\bar{x}}{\partial x} ) = \left( \sqrt{S} \right)^{- \Delta - 1} \frac{\partial \bar{x}^{a}}{\partial x^{c}} . \ \ \ (4)[/tex] So, under pure dilatations; [itex]\bar{x}^{a} = e^{-\alpha}\ x^{a}[/itex], we have [tex]\frac{\partial \bar{x}^{a}}{\partial x^{c}} = e^{- \alpha} \delta^{a}_{c} , \ \ \Rightarrow \ | \frac{\partial \bar{x}}{\partial x} | = e^{- n \alpha} , \ \ \ (5)[/tex] and, therefore [tex]\left( \sqrt{S} \right)^{- \Delta - 1} = | \frac{\partial \bar{x}}{\partial x} |^{\frac{- \Delta - 1}{n}} = e^{\alpha \Delta + \alpha} . \ \ \ (6)[/tex] Putting eq’s (4), (5) and (6) in equation (3), we find [tex]\bar{V}^{a}( \bar{x} ) = e^{\alpha \Delta} \ V^{a} ( x ) \equiv | \frac{\partial x}{\partial \bar{x}} |^{\frac{\Delta}{n}} V^{a} ( x ) .[/tex]

Sam

Wow Sam, thank you very much for your detailed reply! I realized I was treating the representations the wrong way! Thank you very much!

By the way, just to ask, if we have an odd dimensional spacetime, say:
g=diag{...-1... , ...+1...} (n-times -1 with n odd),
then we use absolute value at the deteminant under the squareroot, right? So one can say that in general case we follow the notation with the absolute value?

For [itex](p,q)[/itex] signature in [itex]n = |p| + |q|[/itex] dimensions, you have [tex]\det (g_{ab}) = (-1)^{|q|} |g| = (-1)^{n} (-1)^{- |p|} |g| .[/tex] So
[tex]\det(g_{ab}) = (-1)^{|p|} |g| , \ \ \mbox{for} \ \ n = 2k ,[/tex] [tex]\det(g_{ab}) = (-1)^{|p| + 1} |g| , \ \ \mbox{for} \ \ n = 2k + 1 .[/tex]

Right, thank you very much! :wink:

1. What is Conformal Field Theory (CFT)?

Conformal Field Theory is a mathematical framework used to describe quantum field theories that exhibit conformal symmetry, which is a type of symmetry that preserves the relative angles between points on a curved surface. CFT has applications in various areas of physics, including condensed matter physics, string theory, and cosmology.

2. What are the key features of Conformal Field Theory?

The key features of Conformal Field Theory include conformal symmetry, which allows for the simplification of calculations and the study of universal properties, and the existence of a conformal anomaly, which is a quantum effect that breaks the conformal symmetry. CFT also has a rich algebraic structure and the ability to describe critical phenomena at second-order phase transitions.

3. What are some examples of systems that can be described by Conformal Field Theory?

Conformal Field Theory has been successfully applied to a wide range of systems, including critical phenomena in condensed matter physics (e.g. the Ising model), two-dimensional statistical systems, and certain string theories. It has also been used in cosmology to study the behavior of the early universe.

4. What are the challenges in studying Conformal Field Theory?

One of the main challenges in studying Conformal Field Theory is the lack of a rigorous mathematical framework, which makes it difficult to prove theorems and make precise predictions. Another challenge is the presence of the conformal anomaly, which makes it difficult to apply traditional perturbative techniques.

5. What are some current research topics in Conformal Field Theory?

Current research in Conformal Field Theory includes studying its connections to other areas of physics, such as quantum gravity and topological phases of matter, as well as developing new techniques for solving CFTs and exploring its applications in high-energy physics. Other topics of interest include the study of non-equilibrium systems and the behavior of CFTs in higher dimensions.