Calculating the ghost field in the Becker and Becker paper

In summary, the ghost term in the Lagrangian for a Yang-Mills theory in background field gauge is given by $\mathcal{L}_{GH} = -\overline{c}^{a} \partial_{\tau}^{2} c^{a} + \epsilon^{abc}\sqrt{g}(\partial_{\tau} \overline{c}^{a}) c^{b} A^{c} + B^{ir} B_{i}^{c} \overline{c}^{a} c^{b} + \sqrt{g} B^{ir} Y_{i}^{c} \overline{c}^{a} c^{b}$ and the quantity b remains unchanged
saadhusayn
TL;DR Summary
Hi,

I am trying to calculate the ghost field from a paper by Becker and Becker. However, I seem to get an incorrect coefficient for a term and am not quite sure how certain quantities look like after a Wick rotation.
This is the paper that I refer to. I'm trying to figure out the ghost action (Equation 2.16) in the background field gauge. I am attempting to use Srednicki's (chapter 78) expression for the ghost field in the background gauge. However, I am missing out on a √g coefficient in front of the term
$$ \epsilon^{abc}(\partial_{\tau} \overline{c}^{a}) c^{b} A^{c}$$. Furthermore, how does the quantity b (Equation 2.7) transform under a Wick rotation? Does it become ib? Here is my work so far. Thank you in advance.

$$G^{a}t^{a} = \partial^{\mu} A_{\mu}^{a} t^{a} + [\ B^{\mu r} t^{r}, A_{\mu}^{s} t^{s} ]$$
The gauge condition is therefore given by:
$$ G^{a} = \partial^{\nu} A_{\nu}^{a}+ B^{\nu r} A_{\nu}^{s} \epsilon^{rsa}t^{a}$$
From Srednicki's book, we have the expression for the ghost term in the Lagrangian is given by:
$$ \mathcal{L}_{GH} = \overline{c}^{a} \frac{\partial G^{a}}{\partial A_{\mu}^{b}} D_{\mu}^{bc}c^{c} $$
Where the gauge covariant derivative is:
$$ D_{\mu}^{bc} c^{c} = (\delta^{bc} \partial_{\mu} + \epsilon^{bsc} A_{\mu}^{s})c^{c} = \partial_{\mu} c^{b} + \epsilon^{bsc} A_{\mu}^{s} c^{c}$$
And
$$ \frac{\partial G^{a}}{\partial A_{\mu}^{b}} = \delta^{ab} \partial^{\mu} + B^{\mu r} \epsilon^{rba}$$
Putting it all together,
$$ \mathcal{L}_{GH} = \overline{c}^{a}(\delta^{ab} \partial^{\mu} + B^{\mu r} \epsilon^{rba})(\partial_{\mu} c^{b} + \epsilon^{bsc} A_{\mu}^{s} c^{c})$$

$$\mathcal{L}_{GH} = \overline{c}^{a} \Box c^{a} + \epsilon^{asc}\overline{c}^{a} \partial^{\mu} (A_{\mu}^{s} c^{c}) + B^{\mu r} \epsilon^{rca} \overline{c}^{a} \partial_{\mu} c^{c} + B^{\mu r} \epsilon^{bsc} \epsilon^{rba} A_{\mu}^{s} \overline{c}^{a} c^{c}$$
$\because$ this is a dimensionally reduced Yang-Mills theory, the space derivatives all disappear. Also, $$B^{0} = 0$$.
$$ \mathcal{L}_{GH} = \overline{c}^{a} \partial^{t} \partial_{t} c^{a} + \epsilon^{asc}\overline{c}^{a} \partial^{t} (A^{s} c^{c}) + \cancelto{0}{B^{0 r} \epsilon^{rca} \overline{c}^{a} \partial_{t} c^{c}} + \cancelto{0}{B^{0 r} \epsilon^{bsc} \epsilon^{rba} A^{s}} + B^{i r} \epsilon^{bsc} \epsilon^{rba} A_{i}^{s} \overline{c}^{a} c^{c}$$
We make a Wick rotation $$t \rightarrow -i\tau \implies \partial_{t} \rightarrow i \partial_{\tau}$$. Also, $$A^{c} \rightarrow -i A^{c}$$.
Then, upto a total derivative, in Euclidean space,
$$ \mathcal{L}_{GH} = -\overline{c}^{a} \partial_{\tau}^{2} c^{a} + \epsilon^{abc}(\partial_{\tau} \overline{c}^{a}) c^{b} A^{c} + B^{i r} \epsilon^{cbx} \epsilon^{arx} A_{i}^{c} \overline{c}^{a} c^{b}$$
We can expand the last term above about the background field:
$$ \epsilon^{arx} \epsilon^{cbx}B^{ir}(B_{i}^{c} + \sqrt{g}Y_{i}^{c}) \overline{c}^{a} c^{b}$$

$$ = (\delta^{ac} \delta^{rb} -\delta^{ab}\delta^{rc})B^{ir} (B_{i}^{c} + \sqrt{g} Y_{i}^{c}) \overline{c}^{a} c^{b}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
$$ = B^{ir}(\delta^{ac}\delta^{rb}B_{i}^{c} + \sqrt{g}\delta^{ac}\delta^{rb}Y_{i}^{c}) \overline{c}^{a} c^{b}$$ $$ = B^{ir} B_{i}^{c} \overline{c}^{a} c^{b} + \sqrt{g} B^{ir} Y_{i}^{c} \overline{c}^{a} c^{b}$$ Therefore, we can write the ghost action in background field gauge as $$ \mathcal{L}_{GH} = -\overline{c}^{a} \partial_{\tau}^{2} c^{a} + \epsilon^{abc}\sqrt{g}(\partial_{\tau} \overline{c}^{a}) c^{b} A^{c} + B^{ir} B_{i}^{c} \overline{c}^{a} c^{b} + \sqrt{g} B^{ir} Y_{i}^{c} \overline{c}^{a} c^{b}$$ As for your second question, the quantity b (Equation 2.7) is a tensor and as such it should remain unchanged under a Wick rotation.

1. How is the ghost field calculated in the Becker and Becker paper?

The ghost field in the Becker and Becker paper is calculated using a path integral approach. This involves integrating over all possible paths of the ghost fields in the action of the theory.

2. What is the significance of calculating the ghost field in the Becker and Becker paper?

The ghost field is an important component in the theory of supergravity and its calculation in the Becker and Becker paper helps to understand the behavior of this field and its interactions with other fields.

3. What is the mathematical formula used to calculate the ghost field in the Becker and Becker paper?

The mathematical formula used to calculate the ghost field in the Becker and Becker paper is a functional integral over the ghost fields, which is then evaluated using Feynman diagrams.

4. Are there any limitations to the calculation of the ghost field in the Becker and Becker paper?

Yes, there are limitations to the calculation of the ghost field in the Becker and Becker paper. The calculation is based on certain assumptions and approximations, which may not accurately reflect the behavior of the ghost field in all situations.

5. How does the calculation of the ghost field in the Becker and Becker paper contribute to our understanding of supergravity?

The calculation of the ghost field in the Becker and Becker paper provides insight into the behavior of the ghost field and its interactions with other fields in supergravity. This helps to advance our understanding of the theory and its applications in physics.