Confused about answer wolfram alpha spat out to me.

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving a difficult equation and using WolframAlpha to get an answer in radians. The output given was "theta ≈ 0.74559 + 6.28319n for integer n", indicating multiple possible solutions with n being any integer. The question about converting radians to degrees was also addressed.
Clever_name

Homework Statement

Ok well I had a real nasty equation in which i could not solve.
I used wolfram alpha to get out this answer "theta ≈ 0.74559 + 6.28319n for integer n".

can someone please tell me what this statement means.

do i assume theta in degrees equals 0.74559(180/pi)?

Thanks for the help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Clever_name said:

Homework Statement

Ok well I had a real nasty equation in which i could not solve.
I used wolfram alpha to get out this answer "theta ≈ 0.74559 + 6.28319n for integer n".

can someone please tell me what this statement means.

do i assume theta in degrees equals 0.74559(180/pi)?
That would be one value, with n = 0. The other values are .74559 + 2##\pi##, .74559 + 4##\pi##, .74559 + 6##\pi##, and so on. It would also include negative multiples of 2##\pi##, as in .74559 - 2##\pi##, .74559 - 4##\pi##, .74559 - 6##\pi##, and so on.

As to your last question: WolframAlpha gave you answers in radians. Your method of conversion to degrees looks right.

So if i was solving an equation say something like x'(theta) =0 would n be zero when solving for theta?

Clever_name said:
So if i was solving an equation say something like x'(theta) =0 would n be zero when solving for theta?
n is any integer. You can't say what it "is." It means that the equation has multiple solutions.

Ok thanks for clearing that up guys.

What is Wolfram Alpha?

Wolfram Alpha is a computational knowledge engine that provides answers and information based on a vast collection of data and algorithms.

How does Wolfram Alpha work?

Wolfram Alpha uses natural language processing and artificial intelligence to understand and interpret user queries and then searches its database for relevant information and computations to provide a response.

Why am I confused by the answer Wolfram Alpha gave me?

This could be due to a few factors. First, Wolfram Alpha may have interpreted your query differently than you intended. Also, the answer may be complex and difficult to understand without a background in mathematics or the specific topic. Lastly, it is possible that the answer is incorrect or incomplete.

Can I trust the answers provided by Wolfram Alpha?

Wolfram Alpha sources its information from reliable and verified sources, so the answers provided are generally trustworthy. However, it is always important to double-check and verify the information from multiple sources.

Is there a way to improve my experience with Wolfram Alpha?

Yes, you can improve your experience by learning how to formulate queries properly and using the various features and options available on Wolfram Alpha. You can also provide feedback to the Wolfram Alpha team to help them improve their algorithms and data sources.