Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused about computing Laurent series

1. Sep 10, 2008 #1
    I am very confused about how to actually compute a Laurent series. Given an analytic function, we can write down its poles. Then, if I understand correctly, we have to write a Laurent series for each pole. What I'm confused about is the actual mechanics of writing one down. I know that for f(z) with pole at f(z0) that we can write

f(z) = (a_p)/(z-z0)^p + ...+ a_1/(z-z0) + a0 + a1(z-z0) + ...

what I don't understand is how to get the a[tex]^{n}[/tex] coefficients. I know we have the formula a[tex]_{n}[/tex] = (1/2*[tex]\pi[/tex]*i) * [tex]\oint[/tex][tex]\frac{f(z)}{(z-z0)^{n+1}}[/tex] dz, but all the examples I have just pop out the series (no one is doing any integrals). I must be missing something obvious!!

If I can put it into the form f(z) = 1/(1+z) then I can use a geometric series to write this out...

but what if it's something like 1/z?
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

?? 1/z is already of that form! 1/z = z-1 so a-1= 1 and all the other ans are 0.
  4. Sep 10, 2008 #3
    oh no, then I am really confused about what's going on. In general, how is a Taylor series used in a Laurent series? Maybe that will help me get started. In the meantime, I guess I'm going to go read through that chapter again... :(
  5. Sep 11, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A function is "analytic" at a point if and only if its Taylor's series at that point exists and converges to the function in some neighborhood of that point. A function, f(z), has a "pole of order n at z0" if and only if (z- z0)nf(z) is analytic at z0 but no lower power of z is. Write znf(z) as a Taylor's series and divide each term by zn to get the Laurent series for f(z).

For example, if f(z)= z-1, then zf(z)= 1 is analytic (and that IS its "Taylor's series: 1+ 0z+ 0z2+ ...) so f(z) has a pole of order 1 at 0 and the Laurent series for f(z) is 1/z+ 0+ 0z+...
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  6. Sep 11, 2008 #5
    oh, I see. Then when I am starting a problem of this type, it should perhaps be necessary tp start by checking analycity of the function. Once I've found the poles, I should be able to use a Taylor series exp. to write the Laurent series, then find the residue...

I think it is beginning to make sense, at least computationally. It might take a few days of computing these things before the theory part all sinks in.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?