Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused by separate definitions of sets which are bounded above

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    I have been consulting different sources of analysis notes. My confusion comes from these two definitions

\begin{defn} Let S be a non-empty subset of $\mathbb{R}$.
    \begin{enumerate}
    \item $S$ is Bounded above $ \Longleftrightarrow\exists\,M > 0$ s.t. $\forall\, x\in S$, $x\leq M$.
    \item $S$ is Bounded above $ \Longleftrightarrow\exists\,M\in\mathbb{R}$ s.t. $\forall\, x\in S$, $x\leq M$.
    \end{enumerate}
    \end{defn}

My question: Why in the first definition does M have to be strictly greater than 0?

e.g.If we consider the set S :={-3,-2,-1}

Then is S bounded above by -1?. I know that S is bounded above by all positive integers. Though, M = -1 appears to be a suitable choice of M in the second definition, to satisfy S being bounded above, but not the first.

I have thoroughly confused myself over this matter and would be grateful for any insight into the matter. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2011 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The first definition says an M > 0 exists. It doesn't preclude an M < 0 being a bound.

4. Aug 23, 2011 #3
    Thank you for your prompt reply. That is exactly the response i was looking for. Just to clarify
    The existence of an m > 0 is a necessary condition for a set to be bounded above. Though, provided it exists, an m < 0 which is an upper bound is sufficient to justify that a set is bounded above.

Is this correct?

5. Aug 24, 2011 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No: existence of any m is necessary and sufficient - in fact, it is definition of bounded. The sign is irrelevant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook