Confused by separate definitions of sets which are bounded above

In summary, the conversation discusses two definitions of a set being bounded above, where the first definition states that for a non-empty subset of real numbers to be bounded above, there must exist an M greater than 0 such that all elements in the subset are less than or equal to M. The second definition says that there must exist an M in the set of real numbers such that all elements in the subset are less than or equal to M. The question is why the first definition requires M to be strictly greater than 0, and the expert clarifies that this is not a necessary condition and any M, regardless of sign, can be a bound. Finally, the expert confirms that the existence of any M is both necessary and sufficient for a
jacksonjs20
I have been consulting different sources of analysis notes. My confusion comes from these two definitions

\begin{defn} Let S be a non-empty subset of $\mathbb{R}$.
\begin{enumerate}
\item $S$ is Bounded above $ \Longleftrightarrow\exists\,M > 0$ s.t. $\forall\, x\in S$, $x\leq M$.
\item $S$ is Bounded above $ \Longleftrightarrow\exists\,M\in\mathbb{R}$ s.t. $\forall\, x\in S$, $x\leq M$.
\end{enumerate}
\end{defn}

My question: Why in the first definition does M have to be strictly greater than 0?

e.g.If we consider the set S :={-3,-2,-1}

Then is S bounded above by -1?. I know that S is bounded above by all positive integers. Though, M = -1 appears to be a suitable choice of M in the second definition, to satisfy S being bounded above, but not the first.

I have thoroughly confused myself over this matter and would be grateful for any insight into the matter. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first definition says an M > 0 exists. It doesn't preclude an M < 0 being a bound.

Thank you for your prompt reply. That is exactly the response i was looking for. Just to clarify
The existence of an m > 0 is a necessary condition for a set to be bounded above. Though, provided it exists, an m < 0 which is an upper bound is sufficient to justify that a set is bounded above.

Is this correct?

No: existence of any m is necessary and sufficient - in fact, it is definition of bounded. The sign is irrelevant.

What does it mean for a set to be bounded above?

A set is said to be bounded above if there exists a finite number, called the upper bound, that is greater than or equal to all of the elements in the set.

What is the difference between a bounded above set and an unbounded set?

A bounded above set has a finite upper bound, while an unbounded set has no upper bound and can keep increasing without limit.

How can a set be both bounded above and unbounded?

This is not possible. A set can only be either bounded above or unbounded, but not both at the same time.

What is the purpose of defining sets that are bounded above?

Defining sets that are bounded above allows us to determine the maximum value of the elements in the set and understand the limitations of the set. It also helps in mathematical proofs and calculations.

What happens if a set is not bounded above?

If a set is not bounded above, it means that the elements in the set can keep increasing without limit. This can lead to undefined or infinite values and can make mathematical calculations and proofs more difficult.