Confused Engineering Vc physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between studying physics and engineering, with the speaker expressing their personal preference for physics but choosing to study engineering due to job prospects and family pressure. They also mention their plans to pursue a physics degree after graduating from engineering, but express concerns about the difficulty and cost. Other participants in the conversation offer advice and suggest alternative fields of engineering to consider.
Matrix0
Confused! Physics Vs Engineering

Hi

I’m currently studying Civil Engineering; I like the aspect of working after graduating in a Eng company – consultancy.
I Personally find studying Eng ok (not bad) because the amount of detail we spend on theories is too low, I can't describe.
Before, I wanted to do physics or engineering. I decide to do Eng, because of getting a job with physics degree is harder than Eng also family pressure.
I differently like physics more than any science knowledge; I think studying physics at uni is difficult (more than any science) .

It inspirers me when finding out about the laws that govern us (the universe) - is so complex and they all fit in together.

I didn’t achieve good grads at A-level (two years before uni - High school) didn’t concentrate, whent to a bad High school, started practising for exams too late.

I’m planning to do Physics after I graduate Eng. I don’t know if I should go to a good or normal uni? Or even If I should go ahead with studying physics? how would i get the money?

What do you guys think? any suggestions?Ps. 18, from England.

regards

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Matrix,
Sorry that I can't really lend any advice, but I was just commenting on how I am in a very similar situation. I am still in my senior high school year and like you, physics is what I really want to go to study for. However, especially with recent economic issues (here in the U.S., not sure if it is as bad in England) engineering seems like the safe choice. From looking around on this forum a lot on this topic it seems that if you do any of the four main engineering that a graduate study of physics is possible but hard and some courses will have to be made up. I hope you can do what you really want to. I am still facing a hard decision, but hopefully i'll make up my mind soon.

Good luck!

Physics is a long career path.

There is a glut in PhD and MSc physics graduates, which means graduate school has become an expectation and the value of having a post-grad degree has lowered.

If you want to be an academic or researcher at a university, after you get your PhD (when your 25?) it can take 6-10 years of post-doc work before you get tenure(i.e. full time job) at whatever uni is willing to take you. And you have to drag your understanding wife and kids along with you.

I do not mean to hijack the thread, but perhaps the OP will find it useful as well. What about other sciences such as being a math major? Is that an easier path than physics? or are most pure sciences that way.

Perhaps you should try a different field of engineering. Not sure if civil is different in England but the US, but here it concentrates on structures.

Try taking a look at mechanical engineering and focus on heat/work exchange/transfer. Perhaps Nuclear engineering (though jobs in that field are slim).

1. What is confused engineering Vc physics?

Confused engineering Vc physics is a branch of science that combines principles from engineering and physics to study complex systems and phenomena. It involves the use of mathematical models and experimental methods to understand and solve real-world problems.

2. What are the key concepts in confused engineering Vc physics?

Some key concepts in confused engineering Vc physics include mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. These concepts are used to understand the behavior of various systems and processes, such as fluid flow, heat transfer, and electricity.

3. How is confused engineering Vc physics different from traditional engineering and physics?

Confused engineering Vc physics differs from traditional engineering and physics in that it focuses on the integration of both fields to solve complex problems. It also involves a more interdisciplinary approach, combining principles from multiple disciplines rather than just one.

4. What are some real-world applications of confused engineering Vc physics?

Confused engineering Vc physics has many real-world applications, including designing more efficient engines, developing renewable energy sources, and creating advanced materials. It is also used in fields such as biomedicine, aerospace engineering, and nanotechnology.

5. What skills are important for a scientist studying confused engineering Vc physics?

A scientist studying confused engineering Vc physics should have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. They should also have critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to work with complex models and data. Collaboration and communication skills are also important for interdisciplinary research in this field.