1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused with this negative average velocity

1. Jul 1, 2013 #1
    EDIT ADDED: I already got it! Thank you for your ideas! :D

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If you drive an average velocity of -72.8 Km/h for 55 minutes to a position that is 28.5 KM north of Jollitown, in what position did you start your drive?

I'm confused with this negative average velocity, please help me

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What do you think "negative" means in this context?

4. Jul 1, 2013 #3
    I think it means that it have a negative velocity, and it opposes the direction at the origin, but I am still confused, I do not know where to start. If you can Provide me the answer I can figure it out how to solve it. Hahays, please help me.

5. Jul 1, 2013 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Draw a graph. Show the end point on the graph. Where do you have to start to end up there if you are going in a "negative" direction relative to the origin? Do you start North, South, East, or West of the end point?

6. Jul 1, 2013 #5
    Is this Right? The starting position starts in (North) but it travels downward, that's why it is negative, so for the initial position of the car I need to compute the distance travelled in 55 minutes and then add it to the 28.5KM? If I only base my answer on the Y axis, does my negative indicates that I travel downward (backward) so the car travels going through the Origin Point? which is the intersection of X and Y axis in the cartesian plane?

7. Jul 1, 2013 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do not erase original posts on this forum !!!!

8. Jul 1, 2013 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

fyi, the original post has been restored.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook