Confused with this negative average velocity

In summary, The starting position starts in (North) but it travels downward, that's why it is negative, so for the initial position of the car I need to compute the distance traveled in 55 minutes and then add it to the 28.5KM?
Suarden
EDIT ADDED: I already got it! Thank you for your ideas! :D

1. Homework Statement
If you drive an average velocity of -72.8 Km/h for 55 minutes to a position that is 28.5 KM north of Jollitown, in what position did you start your drive?I'm confused with this negative average velocity, please help me

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think "negative" means in this context?

phinds said:
What do you think "negative" means in this context?
I think it means that it have a negative velocity, and it opposes the direction at the origin, but I am still confused, I do not know where to start. If you can Provide me the answer I can figure it out how to solve it. Hahays, please help me.

Suarden said:
I think it means that it have a negative velocity, and it opposes the direction at the origin, but I am still confused, I do not know where to start. If you can Provide me the answer I can figure it out how to solve it. Hahays, please help me.

Draw a graph. Show the end point on the graph. Where do you have to start to end up there if you are going in a "negative" direction relative to the origin? Do you start North, South, East, or West of the end point?

phinds said:
Draw a graph. Show the end point on the graph. Where do you have to start to end up there if you are going in a "negative" direction relative to the origin? Do you start North, South, East, or West of the end point?
Is this Right? The starting position starts in (North) but it travels downward, that's why it is negative, so for the initial position of the car I need to compute the distance traveled in 55 minutes and then add it to the 28.5KM? If I only base my answer on the Y axis, does my negative indicates that I travel downward (backward) so the car travels going through the Origin Point? which is the intersection of X and Y axis in the cartesian plane?

Do not erase original posts on this forum !

phinds said:
Do not erase original posts on this forum !
fyi, the original post has been restored.

What is negative average velocity?

Negative average velocity refers to the average rate of change of an object's position over time in a specific direction. It indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference point.

How is negative average velocity calculated?

Negative average velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time. The negative sign is added to indicate the direction of motion.

What is the difference between negative average velocity and negative instantaneous velocity?

Negative average velocity is the average rate of change of an object's position over a period of time, while negative instantaneous velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's position at a specific moment in time. Negative instantaneous velocity can change constantly, while negative average velocity remains constant over a given time interval.

What does a negative average velocity tell us about an object's motion?

A negative average velocity indicates that an object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference point. It also tells us that the object's position is decreasing over time.

Can an object have a negative average velocity and a positive instantaneous velocity?

Yes, an object can have a negative average velocity and a positive instantaneous velocity. This means that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference point over a period of time, but at a specific moment, it is moving in the positive direction.