Confusion about gravitational acceleration

In summary, the discussion is about gravitational acceleration and its independence from mass. The conversation delves into a mathematical description of this concept and how it can be derived from Newton's law of gravity. It is concluded that the experimental observation of the independence of acceleration from mass is encoded into the math and can be derived from the general form of Newton's law.
kmm
I understand that gravitational acceleration is independent of mass. However, I've seen a common mathematical description of this that I can't help but find circular. I suspect that there's an error in my thinking that I'm hoping someone can point out for me. It goes like this; ##F=mg## but we know that ##F=ma##. If we substitute the first equation into the second, we get ##mg=ma##, therefore ##g=a##. OK, but what seems wrong to me is that, once you state that the gravitational acceleration is the constant 'g', you're already saying it's independent of mass, BECAUSE it's a constant. And of course 'g' has to equal 'a' here; it is the acceleration. It seems to me that it's merely an experimental fact, so there's no need to justify it mathematically in this way. I feel like there's a subtlety I'm missing here.

Physics news on Phys.org
kmm said:
It seems to me that it's merely an experimental fact, so there's no need to justify it mathematically in this way.
This is correct. It is experimentally observed that the acceleration is independent of the mass. The form of the force law follows from that.

Dale said:
This is correct. It is experimentally observed that the acceleration is independent of the mass. The form of the force law follows from that.
Thanks, I wonder why some explain it in this way..

kmm said:
Thanks, I wonder why some explain it in this way..
Well, the properties are encoded into the math so it is easy enough to start with the math and derive the properties

Last edited:
kmm said:
I feel like there's a subtlety I'm missing here.
Try deriving it from f=ma and Newton's law of gravity...

Likes kmm
russ_watters said:
Try deriving it from f=ma and Newton's law of gravity...
Ok, in that case, we have $$ ma = G \frac {mM} {R^2}$$ so $$a = G \frac {M} {R^2}$$ which is independent of the mass 'm'. I guess deriving it from Newton's law of gravity, which is more general than the special case of 'f=mg', is actually bit more illuminating. Thanks

Likes russ_watters

FAQ: Confusion about gravitational acceleration

1. What is gravitational acceleration?

Gravitational acceleration is the acceleration of an object towards the Earth due to the force of gravity. It is commonly denoted as "g" and has a value of approximately 9.8 meters per second squared near the Earth's surface.

2. How is gravitational acceleration different from regular acceleration?

Gravitational acceleration is a specific type of acceleration that is caused by the force of gravity, while regular acceleration can be caused by any type of force. Gravitational acceleration is always directed towards the center of the Earth, while regular acceleration can have any direction depending on the force acting on an object.

3. Why is there confusion about gravitational acceleration?

There is confusion about gravitational acceleration because it is often misunderstood as the speed at which an object falls, when in reality it is the rate at which the object's speed increases. Additionally, the value of gravitational acceleration can vary depending on the location and mass of the objects involved.

4. How is gravitational acceleration measured?

Gravitational acceleration can be measured using a device called an accelerometer, which measures the change in velocity of an object over time. It can also be calculated using the formula g = GM/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and r is the distance between the two objects.

5. How does gravitational acceleration affect objects on Earth?

Gravitational acceleration affects objects on Earth by pulling them towards the center of the Earth. This causes objects to fall towards the ground with increasing speed. It also plays a role in the motion of objects in orbit around the Earth, such as satellites, and the tides in the ocean.